cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TriGirl

Athletes Unite

I was a smoker when I ran my first half marathon. I was a smoker when I completed my first triathlon. I was a smoker who was not only an athlete, but a personal trainer and group exercise instructor as well! I always WANTED to quit, but I really thought since I was pretty fit and able to do all these things, maybe it wasn't SO bad for me!?!

Reasons to quit kept piling up but I was really afraid. I thought smoking was keeping me "sane". Little did I know, it was the thing that was making me crazy.

It took awhile to see the benefits of quitting in my athletic performance, but now that I'm more than four months free, I'm noticing that it's all so much easier! I am faster, stronger, and I have way more endurance. My heart rate is lower and I recover faster from bursts of high intensity. The wind doesn't bother me as much anymore!! Wind used to be The Thing that would stop me. Not anymore!!

In my activity here, I met another soul who loves running maybe even more than I do-- PrimeNumberJD‌! He is having a similar experience: There is so much joy in breaking the plateau once you've really gotten into your quit! Once you start to feel that, I can't imagine a trigger that could make you go back!! 

So...any other athletes out there? Feel free to chat with us here! ‍♀

Labels (1)
51 Replies
PrimeNumberJD

I just recently learned there even is a trip! How does that work, is it usually the quitter, or do they tote their families? Is there a seminar or does everyone just hang out together? It is definitely exciting! 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

A poll to gather location preferences will be announced - probably soon.  We have been meeting in Virginia Beach the last few years - usually in May - and did Nashville one year, but no reason you couldn't nominate a place.  No reason we couldn't do two, either!  It is elders and newbies and all in between (and their families if folks choose), and we usually have two events attended by all.....usually a dinner on Saturday night and a celebration together on Sunday morning.  The rest of the time folks can choose to do whatever they wish.  It does take a bit of work to plan it - and it's done by community members.......You could volunteer to help, too! 

Here's a blog about the last one to give you an idea:  /blogs/Strudel-blog/2019/05/26/ex-7-virginia-beach 

0 Kudos
TriGirl

I would run Disney. I heard that is a great race!

0 Kudos
PrimeNumberJD

Sootie‌, Mark‌ was rhyming, cheering with jdeering! Lol.

The idea of a get together is fun, faces with names and personalities with faces! It would be epic, of course, y'all probably wouldn't like me much after!

0 Kudos
Sootie

I think you are wrong about that!!! We'd love you.

pir8fan‌ calls the EX get togethers.....Avatars come to life!

WhispersQSMB

I was a smoker and i wasn't a runner, i was a smoker and would walk half a block and breathe like a bulldog. After i quit i went on a health kick, i don't drink alcohol, i don't do drugs. I swapped the bad habit of smoking with fitness, whenever i got the craving i either went for a walk, lift weights, sit ups and pushups. Its close to 4 years now free and in may will be running my first half marathon(NYC Spring half). I'm proud and a bit shocked on how far Ive come and what I'm able to do. If i can do it, you can do it. 13 miles today and i felt like i could've done another 2

It's good to see others with the love for health and fitness on this site, i usually run between 3-5 miles each day

Today i pushed myself a little harder, In the words of Forrest Gump - I just felt like running!

TriGirl

YAY!!! So glad to "meet" you WhispersQSMB‌!! Isn't it amazing how much better life is without smoking? It gives us the opportunity to try new things and be present. It's really cool to see we can also make connections here that are about what we do now that we're quit!!! Nice pace!

PrimeNumberJD

Screenshot_20191014-100826_Samsung Internet.jpg

Anyone down for the Dopey Challenge?

0 Kudos
TriGirl

Between the cost and travel, I don't think this year.