cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TriGirl

Athletes Unite

I was a smoker when I ran my first half marathon. I was a smoker when I completed my first triathlon. I was a smoker who was not only an athlete, but a personal trainer and group exercise instructor as well! I always WANTED to quit, but I really thought since I was pretty fit and able to do all these things, maybe it wasn't SO bad for me!?!

Reasons to quit kept piling up but I was really afraid. I thought smoking was keeping me "sane". Little did I know, it was the thing that was making me crazy.

It took awhile to see the benefits of quitting in my athletic performance, but now that I'm more than four months free, I'm noticing that it's all so much easier! I am faster, stronger, and I have way more endurance. My heart rate is lower and I recover faster from bursts of high intensity. The wind doesn't bother me as much anymore!! Wind used to be The Thing that would stop me. Not anymore!!

In my activity here, I met another soul who loves running maybe even more than I do-- PrimeNumberJD‌! He is having a similar experience: There is so much joy in breaking the plateau once you've really gotten into your quit! Once you start to feel that, I can't imagine a trigger that could make you go back!! 

So...any other athletes out there? Feel free to chat with us here! ‍♀

Labels (1)
51 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sootie wrote:

Disney does a marathon.....not sure what time of year.......that could be an EX trip.......we could have runners and "cheerers". At 26.2----I'm thinking of cheering

.... for PrimeNumberJD‌? sorry had to rhyme Sootie

EX Community Admin Team
Sootie

Absolutely! Cheering for  PrimeNumberJD‌  and TriGirl‌........and anyone else capable of running a marathon. I have watched my son do many including NYC but I don't think I could actually run one. 5k is about the best I can do.

I think Nancy answered your question.....but anyone can come on EX get togethers........some bring their family and extend the time for a vacation. Many have brought husbands, wives and significant others. Or, many (like me) fly solo to see people who have become DEAR FRIENDS over the years. Got to meet "our Mark at the last get together in VA Beach.

sweetplt

Wonderful TriGirl I too workout, gym a few times a week...I run three times a week...and walk twice a day...my lung compactly has improved so much with quitting...I see my pulmonologist in a couple of weeks and anxious to see if numbers approved.  I am no athlete I have just loved exercise all my life...it amazes me how many of us worked out and smoked...infact, a few doors down are a couple and they body build and I was shocked when I see them light up...like I was the only one who thought I am healthy so I can smoke...yet I am not healthy....asthma, brain aneurysm’s, IBS, migraines...hmm??? Anyways, I am so glad you quit and you are going past your limits...Have a Happy Friday...~ Colleen 312 DOF 

PrimeNumberJD

sweetplt‌ you're as much an athlete as anyone. By definition, a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina. By the sounds of it, you are trained and possibly even skilled. I had a buddy once who joined me on a run,  he said he wasn't a runner. It was 5 miles or so, he kept up, a bit more tired than me at the end. I was like,  "see, you're a runner". He stated he didn't race so he couldn't be. I laughed and said, you obviously go running and enjoy it, you don't have to race to be a runner. He now owns that he is a runner. 

Mark, it is so hard to tag you, so many Marks. We are way past Chicago at this point, the lottery closes in the spring, but like Chicago sports, "there is always next year." Depend il ng on where about you are in Chicago, I wouldn't be far, though I am likely in your back yard as I have corn fields all around me. I grew up on the south side, Cicero, then moved the the suburbs, Orland Park area (Midlothian if you are familiar with the area). About a year ago, we moved to Seneca, Illinois,  population <2,500 and a 20 minute drive to any chain store or restaurant. We live outside of town in a subdivision with about 15 homes or so. Best thing I've ever done... get this, my taxes are the same as they were in Crook County, but I have way more! I'll have to look at this Virginia Beach thing, I am gathering it is a get together of sorts, I would be down for meeting everyone! 

On another note, and off topic, I am a closet case nerd, I have been dabbling in Virtual Basic for a while and have automated most of my day to day processes. I am retiring in 6 years and I am considering a programming career beyond. I recently introduced myself to Python and, reading about it, it seems like there are some advantages. From your perspective, would you have any industry insights that may be helpful? I understand if you move this portion to another forum.

TriGirl‌, I agree, a race would be cool!

sweetplt

You are sweet PrimeNumberJD ... I do train...and I do enjoy...I just don’t compete...except around Ex’s and their games with you, Giulia, Barb, Youngatheart, etc., Happy Friday...

PrimeNumberJD

By definition, competing is not required. Even when I do race, I'm not competing, except with myself...perhaps that is the requirement, competing with one's self to be the best version of them, they can be! Happy Friday my Athlete friend!

elvan

I compete against myself, trying to get my time down for doing ten miles on my stationary bike, adding more and more weights to lifting...nothing very impressive but I am really grateful to be able to do it.

Ellen

TriGirl

What you're doing IS impressive! Setting goals, reaching them, raising the bar! And I totally agree competing has nothing to do with being an athlete. It's the state of mind I just described. I'd say that includes you and sweetplt‌ too!

PrimeNumberJD

Disney marathon is around the same time as the all star game in January I believe. That is a great time to head south in my northern opinion! 

Sootie

We've done an Orlando trip with EX before that was pretty well attended. Lots of EXERS live in Florida. I almost missed my plane home if not for Tommy pir8fan‌...........but otherwise, it was a great trip.