cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThePearlWolf

Advice for how to lessen effects of healing.

Hi all,

I’m 10 days free!  This week, I’m at a business conference and the effects of quitting are unfortunately at their loudest. I’ve got a sinus infection, semi-stuffy nose, with eye swelling and ear pain and bloody nostrils, which is bad enough at a conference where you sit in tight quarters, quietly listening to the speakers, but I’ve also reached the constant throat clearing stage, which is unbearable in this environment. I know it’s from cilia regrowing and I know it can last for several months or just several weeks.  I’m seeking any advice anyone has to lessen the need to clear my throat, whether it’s congestion medicine, nasal sprays, throat spray, anything, even if it’s just a temporary solution. I’m affecting others abilities to enjoy the conference and unfortunately I need to attend each learning session, so I’m not sure how to help the situation or even if there is a way. 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

If no one mentioned it honey in the tea helps. 

In the morning you can do controlled coughing. It's a way to clear the mucus out of the back of your throat.

https://www.cff.org/Life-With-CF/Treatments-and-Therapies/Airway-Clearance/Coughing-and-Huffing/ 

karenjones

Drink water. Lots of it. Lots and lots of it.

ThePearlWolf

Thanks everyone for the advice.  It turns out my Grave's Disease  is no longer in remission and that's what the majority of my symptoms are from.  Most likely, the stress on my body from quitting either caused it to come back, or it's been back but wasn't bad enough to have symptoms until I quit smoking.  I'm temporarily on beta blockers to slow down my heartbeat since I can't start the meds for it until I get new scans and more bloodwork next week. They are helping quite a bit. I'm still dizzy/lightheaded, but I think that's because the beta blockers put my blood pressure on the low side (my blood pressure is normal w/o the blockers, so I'm sure that's why).  I still have some of the other symptoms also, but they're minor.  The major symptoms are gone.  The best part is I can sleep now since my heart rate is much more normal! 

Funny thing....I have a friend who's told me since Day 4 that none of my symptoms are from quitting smoking.  Not the constant throat clearing (which is not gone but is much better now), not the sinus congestion I had in the beginning, not the blood in my nose or throat the first two weeks, etc.  He said he had cravings when he quit but that was it because quitting doesn't cause anything else.  I've tried to explain that while I've since found my major symptoms are from Grave's, all the sinus issues I had in the beginning were from quitting (and the throat clearing). I also told him the first time I was diagnosed w/Grave's was right after I quit smoking a previous time so I bet the stress of quitting is what kicked it off, or all the chemicals being taken away after my body was used to having them to function properly caused it, something like that.  He still doesn't buy it. He really believes there are no physical issues with quitting other than having cravings and being irritable for a few weeks.  He said he spoke with his Dr. when he quit and his Dr. never mentioned he should expect anything other than mood swings.  I wonder if the medical community downplays the effects of quitting smoking because they're afraid if more people knew what could happen (temporarily), they would be less inclined to quit? The effects are temporary, so it shouldn't stop people, but I'm sure it would stop some from attempting to quit.  Oddly enough, I haven't had the grossest part of quitting, the coughing/hacking up stuff.  Every now and then, less than daily, I'll cough up a little thick, clear mucus, but that's it. 

karenjones

Hi Pearlwolf,   Sounds like you have alot on your plate re health issues and sounds like you are dealing with these issues in a capable way.  As well meaning as your friend was in telling you that none of your symptoms are from smoking, both you and I and your friend know that he/she is not a doctor, and while it is only polite to listen to them patiently, remember that they are not a doctor. The medical community doesn't down play the effects of quitting smoking because they are afraid if more people knew what happened they would be less inclinded to quit. The medical community probably doesn't know. Heck, most of these MD's are still being taught that it is a bad habit. And please keep in mind that with all the thing s that MD's are 'supposed' to know their brains are overflowing now. They really should have a specialty in addictions, although I've never heard of one. Most addictions medicos are neurologists, but considering that addictions are not symply neurological it doesnt make alot of sense.  The medical community is chipping away at this, but, like I said, they have alot on their plate too. To a large extent, well, to a 100% extent, you are responsible for your own health, your MD is there to support you. I have attached this video which is an address to Dr.s by a cardiologist and it is called The Zombies of Smoking Cessation, these are dead ideas that will not go away. It is only 45 minutes, and you won't understand it all, but you will understand some of it. Ask your friend to watch it with you. The Cardiologist is named Dr. Pipe.  lol  Dr. Andrew Pipe: The Zombies of Smoking Cessation - YouTube  

SaraPeach

That was a good video. Thanks for sharing. 

0 Kudos