cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learn about special events for community members to come together, learn, and socialize

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Live Event | Lung Cancer Screening Saves Lives

Lung cancer causes more deaths than any other cancer every year in the United States. What makes this disease so deadly? 

When lung cancer has not yet spread to other organs, most people don’t experience any symptoms. By the time symptoms do emerge, the cancer has often spread to other organs in the body, making it much harder to treat. 

The good news is lung cancer screening can detect lung cancer before symptoms appear!

Lung cancer screening through low dose computed tomography (LDCT) is recommended for people who meet the following criteria: 

• Between the ages of 50-80
  • Have a 20+ pack-year smoking history
  • Either currently smoke or have quit smoking within the past 15 years. 

Despite the life-saving potential of lung cancer screening, less than 6% of those who are eligible undergo this simple and painless test. 

The American Lung Cancer Screening Initiative (www.alcsi.org) is working to increase awareness of lung cancer screening. Join us for a conversation with ALCSI founder and Harvard professor, Dr. Chi-Fu Jeffrey Yang, to get the facts about lung cancer and lung cancer screening on November 29th from 12:00-12:30 PM Eastern Time.

Dr. Yang will be talking about: 

• Who is eligible for lung cancer screening and why to get screened
  • How to find a lung cancer screening center near you
  • How the test works
  • How long it takes to get results and how to understand results you get

It’s going to be a great session. Join us so that, together, we can change the story of lung cancer, one screen at a time!

Ask your question* in the comments below and Dr. Yang will address some of the questions during the event. He'll respond later to questions he didn't get to during the event.

*Please ensure to not include any personally identifiable information or personal health information when asking your question.

About Dr. Yang

Dr. Yang Headshot.jpg

Dr. Chi-Fu Jeffrey Yang is a thoracic surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital and an Assistant Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School. He specializes in taking care of patients with lung cancer and his research focuses on lung cancer screening. He is also the founder of the American Lung Cancer Screening Initiative (ALCSI), a non-profit working to increase awareness of lung cancer screening. ALCSI has taught over 10,000 members from the general public about the importance of lung cancer screening. Dr. Yang has been deeply involved in outreach and advocacy work and is committed to increasing awareness of lung cancer screening.

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
24 Replies
BobKatt22

@CommunityAdmin 

I’ve been talking to Gai.C every day for the last 3 years now on a DAILY BASIS!!!!!! Every single day without stop, she has been my mentor and my friend. But since this cancer screening add showed I can’t communicate with her anymore. She’s my friend and I don’t want to lose her. Please advise me on what to do. This add is preventing us from communicating anymore. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@BobKatt22 Hi Bob.  Here's the solution to still communicate with Private Messages.

You can respond now. Just push Ctrl and minus (-) a couple times on your PC or Command and minus (-) on a Mac and it will reduce the zoom so you can see the reply box in order to respond. Then you can push Ctrl and Zeror or Command and Zero to restore the zoom on your browser to 100%.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@BobKatt22 Sorry about that. Today that announcement will be removed when the live event has ended and it should go back to normal. Sorry that it has been causing you grief with the Private Messages. For our next event we're going to be using a different announcement feature that shouldn't disrupt private messages.

@Barbscloud is correct on how you can work-around the issue and still read and respond to your private messages. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

EX Community Admin Team
Gail561

Thank you very informative 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Gail561 Thanks for attending.  We'll get a recording up for those who were not able to attend.

EX Community Admin Team