cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learn about special events for community members to come together, learn, and socialize

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Live Event | Lung Cancer Screening Saves Lives

Lung cancer causes more deaths than any other cancer every year in the United States. What makes this disease so deadly? 

When lung cancer has not yet spread to other organs, most people don’t experience any symptoms. By the time symptoms do emerge, the cancer has often spread to other organs in the body, making it much harder to treat. 

The good news is lung cancer screening can detect lung cancer before symptoms appear!

Lung cancer screening through low dose computed tomography (LDCT) is recommended for people who meet the following criteria: 

• Between the ages of 50-80
  • Have a 20+ pack-year smoking history
  • Either currently smoke or have quit smoking within the past 15 years. 

Despite the life-saving potential of lung cancer screening, less than 6% of those who are eligible undergo this simple and painless test. 

The American Lung Cancer Screening Initiative (www.alcsi.org) is working to increase awareness of lung cancer screening. Join us for a conversation with ALCSI founder and Harvard professor, Dr. Chi-Fu Jeffrey Yang, to get the facts about lung cancer and lung cancer screening on November 29th from 12:00-12:30 PM Eastern Time.

Dr. Yang will be talking about: 

• Who is eligible for lung cancer screening and why to get screened
  • How to find a lung cancer screening center near you
  • How the test works
  • How long it takes to get results and how to understand results you get

It’s going to be a great session. Join us so that, together, we can change the story of lung cancer, one screen at a time!

Ask your question* in the comments below and Dr. Yang will address some of the questions during the event. He'll respond later to questions he didn't get to during the event.

*Please ensure to not include any personally identifiable information or personal health information when asking your question.

About Dr. Yang

Dr. Yang Headshot.jpg

Dr. Chi-Fu Jeffrey Yang is a thoracic surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital and an Assistant Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School. He specializes in taking care of patients with lung cancer and his research focuses on lung cancer screening. He is also the founder of the American Lung Cancer Screening Initiative (ALCSI), a non-profit working to increase awareness of lung cancer screening. ALCSI has taught over 10,000 members from the general public about the importance of lung cancer screening. Dr. Yang has been deeply involved in outreach and advocacy work and is committed to increasing awareness of lung cancer screening.

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
24 Replies
Barbscloud

@CommunityAdmin  Already do this  yearly.   I am an early  participant in the PLuSS study at UPMC that began  quite a few years ago to determine the efficacy of lung CT's vs chest x-ray.  

Glad to  see you're promoting this.  I promote an annual Low Dose Lung CT as  often as I can and I'm often surprised to hear  that some smokers are unaware that they should be doing this yearly.

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Barbscloud That's fantastic.  I encourage you to share this with members on the site and also others you may know off the site. It's free for all to attend. We'd love to see a group of people attend this event.

EX Community Admin Team
Strudel

Mark - Like @Barbscloud  I am also also glad to see the site doing this. I had the low dose CT scan almost 4 years ago which found early stage lung cancer. I was able to have the lobe involved removed. I now do yearly testing. 

Gail561

@CommunityAdmin I already do this low dose lung scan on a yearly basis and it tells my pulmonologist if there are any changes. I do not have lung cancer but it shows the emphysema that has damaged my lungs. She’s in the process of ordering it again for next winter. I am like @Barbscloud  in getting this done and pfts next fall.

janee101

I had this done too.i don't have lung cancer but they did find a problem. I'm waiting to hear back about what to do next but at least I know now...

Barbscloud

@janee101 Glad you had the test done.  Please keep us updated.

Barb

Lindaaham

Mark,

I have had ct scans for several years.  It shows nodules that do not change.  My doctors are not concerned about lung cancer they just keep an eye on them.

Can you give us a head count of how many participate on 11-29?

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Lindaaham @janee101 @Gail561 @Strudel Glad to hear you all do scans as well. Please share the event with others you interact with on the site. We'd love to spread the word about this proceedure as part of Lung Cancer Awareness Month.

@JonesCarpeDiem I believe it is something you can see when you join the webinar. If not, I'll try to get the number.  Can you share your reason for interest in the number of attendees?

EX Community Admin Team