6 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you doing sir? Pawr
EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
elvan

Congratulations, you have over a MONTH!  GOOD FOR YOU.
0 Kudos
Pawr

Still holding out. I find thinking about all the people I know who don't smoke helpful. Basically I still think it's a pain in my butt even though I know it is the best thing I can do. 
0 Kudos
elvan

It's a journey...remember that and remember that it is one day at a time.  We had those pains when we smoked too.  We stuffed our feelings into smoking and once we stop smoking and start FEELING, it's can be pretty intense.  I think that recognizing that people who don't smoke learned to deal with their feelings more gradually helped me.  They did it as part of their growing up journey, for us, it is ALSO part of the journey but, hopefully, we are already grown up.  

​I have never, for one minute, regretted quitting, I have regretted ever starting more than I can possibly tell you.  I hope you have a quit kit and a plan My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  AND that you stay close to the site and read blogs written by others who have struggled or may BE struggling.  I came to the site every morning and every evening and my quit got stronger and stronger as a result of that.  There are so many people here who are ready and willing to help and those people came to my side more than once.  Keep busy...preferably doing things you like that will release dopamine and raise your spirits.  

​Remember that we are here and there isn't one EXer who does not want you to succeed.

​Ellen 
0 Kudos
Pawr

Thanks. I am checking in often and it has been helpful.  I wish I didn't feel like I am quitting because I have a gun to my head, even if that's a good metaphor. 
0 Kudos
elvan

Pawr  I DID have a gun to my head...well, my lungs anyways.  I could not breathe, I got so sick that there was no setting a date, I woke up and I could not breathe.  I was having such a hard time that I could not COUGH because I couldn't get enough air in.  I would not wish that on anyone.  My doc wanted to admit me to ICU but I made a "deal" with him that if I wasn't better in a week, I would agree.  In the meantime, I went home with three inhalers, two antibiotics, and a nebulizer.  I was also "armed" with years of experience as an RN so I utilized everything I could think of and I DID improve...it wasn't fast, by any means but I DID get through that episode and I have not smoked since.  I really don't feel like I gave anything up, it's funny because my husband just told me yesterday that whenever I go outside, he expects me to light a cigarette.  He said he never expected me to quit.  Well...it really and truly was a do or die situation.  

​Glad you are staying close...hope your quit is getting stronger with each smoke free day.  By the way, that IS a great metaphor.
​Ellen

0 Kudos