cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KMF8388

KMF8388's Status Update on 02/12/2018

I found this site last night as I was laying in bed. I have multiple health problems and I want to make a change. I’ve never tried or been motivated to quit before. I’m hoping I only have to try once. The idea of never smoking again scares me. While I hate the smell, I enjoy smoking and use it as a break from my home life and job. Ugh I’m so nervous!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
maryfreecig

I understand why you see smoking as enjoyable, but quitting is still doable. I wanted to quit, but I also hated the thought of quitting--seemed I'd be losing so much. Time has cured me of the perception that cigarettes offer something, and I have come to understand that I can get along just fine without the cigarettes. Wanting to make a change is a great starting point for you, so stick around and discover how you are going to get it done.
0 Kudos
KMF8388

Thanks for the motivation! I really like this blog and it’s helping me to reach out to others. 
maryfreecig

Good to know that you feel compartable at Ex! Keep poking around. : >)
0 Kudos
elvan

I think we were all nervous...remember that when you DO quit, it is a one day at a time journey, you can't take on forever all at once, you need to keep everything in today at the beginning.  Looking off into the future can seem daunting.  I, too, have multiple health issues, many are related to my smoking history.  I used smoking to hide...mostly my emotions.  I stuffed my anger, my sadness, my pain, my stress, whatever feeling made me the least bit uncomfortable...into a cigarette.  The best thing you can do is to read everything you can about nicotine addiction and stay very close to this site.  Read blogs, comment, ask questions...pay attention to what the people on this site tell you.  I came here every morning, first thing and every evening before I went to bed.  I read blogs, I commented, I paid attention to what people said was working for them.  I made a plan, I tracked my cigarettes before I quit, I paid attention to when and why I smoked and what I got out of the cigarette...did it take away my pain?  Did it take away my stress?  Did it REALLY help with my anger?  I could see that it did nothing for me but it was doing a lot TO me.  All the time when I smoked, I continued to do damage to my body and now I am paying for it.  I suggest that you read a couple of blogs written by people who helped me. JonesCarpeDiem wrote What To Expect In The First Four Months I read that over and over again and more recently YoungAtHeart  wrote For Our New Years' Quitters (and community member...  These blogs helped me immensely.  I also went to the library and took out Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking."  I will not tell you it was easy, that was not my experience, I took care of my quit and put it before anything and anyone else at the beginning because I knew that without me, my quit would not make it.  I wanted so much to be quit, I was willing to put up with whatever I had to because I knew that the people on this site told me that it would get easier.  They could not tell me WHEN it would get easier but I absolutely believed them and I am really glad that I did. I have not smoked in over four years now.  You CAN do this.

​Welcome to EX
​Ellen
0 Kudos
KMF8388

Ellen - thank you for sharing your story with me. I’m starting to track my cigarettes now. Some days are easy and I may have 2 cigarettes and then there are days like today when it’s barely dinner time at I’m at 4 already. I truly appreciate your feedback and am going to keep reading and contributing. I just got to keep reminding myself why I’m doing this. 
0 Kudos