Did you mean: 
JACKIE1-25-15

Recipe Share Group

Who would like to share recipes?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
42 Replies
Giulia

Well one does have to eat chocolate once in a while, right?  The only thing healthful in this is the zucchini.  It's extremely light and the orange zest is the clincher to the flavor!

CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE A LA JOAN IN WINNIPEG

2½ Cups All-Purp. unsifted Flour
½ Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2½ Teasp. Baking Powder
1½ Teasp. Baking Soda
2 Cups. Finely grated, unpeeled zucchini (2-9) (after grating, I squeeze out most of the liquid with a spoon until I have 2 cups of just the zucchini.
2 Teasp. Cinnamon
¾ Cup Cooking Oil
1 Cup white sugar
1 cup Light Brown sugar
Grated Rind of 1 medium orange
3 Large Eggs
2 Teasp. Vanilla
½ Cup Milk
1 Cup Chopped Walnuts or Pecans

Generously grease & flour a 10" tube or bundt pan. In a medium bowl, blend together dry ingredients & nuts. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat sugars gradually into oil. Beat eggs in one at a time. Then stir in vanilla, rind & zucchini. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Make three dry and two liquid additions, combining lightly after each. (Main mixing bowl has creamed mixture. Ad 1/3 dry then 1/2 of milk, then another 3rd dry, rest of milk, last 3rd dry.)

Pour batter into pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Cool cake in pan 15 minutes. Then remove & cool completely. Dust with icing sugar.

(Note:  after grating, I squeeze out most of the liquid until I have 2 cups of just the zucchini.)

Bdwallhau

A good use for my garden zucchini. Thanks!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

• My recipe for the day is what I prepared for dinner
    Chicken Vegetable Chili
    2spray(s)cooking spray
  • 1pound(s)uncooked 93% lean ground turkey or chicken.  You can also use chicken breast.
    1mediumuncooked onion(s), chopped
  • 2medium clove(s)garlic clove(s), minced
  • 2largeuncooked carrot(s), chopped
  • 2rib(s), medium uncooked celery, chopped
  • 1mediumyellow pepper(s), chopped0 Points
  • 1item(s), medium uncooked bell pepper(s), orange-variety, chopped0 Points
  • 1Tbspchili powder11 Points
  • 1Tbsppaprika11 Points
  • 2tspground cumin00 Points
  • 1tspdried oregano00 Points
  • 12tsptable salt00 Points
  • 14tspcayenne pepper, optional00 Points
  • 29ozfat-free reduced sodium chicken broth11 Points
  • 29ozcanned diced tomatoes, with mild green chiles00 Points
  • 15 12ozcanned kidney beans, rinsed and drained00 Points
  • 15ozfat free canned refried beans00 Points

Instructions

• Coat a 12-inch sauté pan with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. Brown turkey, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 10 minutes; drain and set aside.

• Coat a large pot with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add carrots, celery and peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne; stir for 1 minute.

• Stir in broth, tomatoes, both types of beans and turkey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring every 5 minutes, about 35 minutes total.

• Serving size: 1 1/2 c

Mandolinrain

This i will make, yum!

0 Kudos
Bdwallhau

Sounds so good!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

It is with litte reduced fat cheese on top and some crackers.

Bdwallhau

This is such a great idea, Jackie. Thank you for thinking of it. This is a great soup that I often make so that I have something healthy to eat at work. I'm not a big fan of kale, but I really like it in this soup. Cannellini beans are my favorite, and they are great in this. Plus, you can switch things up to meet your tastes. I modified this from a vegetarian recipe in Better Homes & Gardens, and I included the modifications in the recipe.

Kale, Farro, and Cannellini Stew / Soup

2 tbs olive oil

1-2 cups ham, diced (The original vegetarian recipe didn't include; I just like the flavor it adds. I use a small, Black Forest Ham quarter for this.)

1 cup carrots, diced

1 cup celery, diced

1 cup yellow onion, diced

5 cloves of garlic, diced

5 cups low-sodium chicken broth (Original calls for vegetable broth. I usually use chicken broth, or a combination of chicken and veggie broth.)

Half of a small can of tomato paste (Original calls for 1 can diced tomatoes, but my son hates those, so....)

1 cup farro, rinsed (I use all farro, or, if I'm running low, I'll mix farro and quinoa.)

1 tsp dried oregano

1 bay leaf

salt and pepper, to taste

About half a bunch of parsley, unchopped, stems and all

4 cups slightly packed, chopped kale, ribs removed (Spinach would be a good alternative, I bet.)

15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

1 tbs fresh lemon juice

feta cheese, crumbled, for serving (I use feta sometimes, but often will substitute parmesan to suit my daughter's taste.)

Instructions

Heat oil over medium or medium-high heat. Add ham and sauté for maybe 2 minutes, then add carrots, onion, and 1celery and sauté for maybe another three minutes or so. Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds or more. I add the oregano salt and pepper, then sauté another minute. Stir in the broth, tomatoes or tomato paste, farro, and bay leaf. Use kitchen twine (or a rubber band) to bind the parsley together, and lay it on top of the soup. Bring to a boil (can raise heat to do this). Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Then, remove parsley, stir in kale and beans, and cook 10-15 minutes longer or until both farro and kale are tender.

Taste test at this point for salt and seasonings, and add more as needed.

Remove bay leaf, stir in lemon juice, and add additional broth or water if you like it a little thinner. (Farro will absorb more liquid as the soup rests.) Top individual servings with parmesan or feta.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I did not think of it.  It was already here.  I was looking for a place to share recipes.  Found this group but not too active.  Thought I would throw the idea out.  Seems to be working. 

0 Kudos
Giulia

Gonna have to try that!  BTW a great side dish is spinach and cannellini.   Pour some juice from the can and saute a clove of minced garlic in it, then add the rest of the can.  Cook the spinach, drain and add it to the cannellini and stir it around.  YUM!

Bdwallhau

That sounds right up my alley. Thanks!

0 Kudos