cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO Metaphor Here

I'm a chile relleno lover.

My cousins restaurant makes the best one's I've ever had but sometimes you don't feel like going to pick it up, so, I've been looking for some frozen ones. They used to have some really good ones but that company stopped shipping a few years ago. 

They are sold at *mazon,  *almart, and one Hatch Chile specialty site.

I wanted to find something local so I searched *almart and found them at the largest  and furthest store in my area.      

I was determined to try them soon. I planned my quit trip  and after my 8:15 appointment, struck out on the backroads for a chile relleno adventure.

I arrived at that huge *almart and I looked in the Mexican food section but, had no luck. There was so much open space, I wasn't even sure they were ever stocked with the Mexican food. Then, I turned the corner, and,

BAM!

the end freezer case was packed top to bottom

with nothing but what I was looking for!

How often does that happen?

I baked them at 400 for 23 minutes and took a few photographs.

DSCF7072.JPG

DSCF7074.JPG

DSCF7078.JPG

DSCF7080.JPG

In my opinion, my cousins are much better but, for a frozen product, these are pretty darn good. If you don't have access to chile relleno's these would be worth trying. There are two in a box and it works out to $3.09 each.

My cousins seem fluffier and larger and there is more cheese but these had a nice thin crunch on the outside and then the fluffiness. The peppers used are not hot. 

YOU CAN ALSO MAKE THEM FROM SCRATCH AND THEY WOULD BE BETTER BUT, IT'S A LOT OF MESS AND CLEANUP  WORK UNLESS YOURE MAKING A COUPLE DOZEN.

It's similar to making Tempura. You have to keep the (egg) batter in a bowl sitting in a bowl of ice. You wash and seed the peppers, boiling them for a short time starts the cooking. Then stem and seed them and stuff them with Monterey Jack Cheese. You dip them in the egg batter and then gently lower them into 350 degree oil until they fluff up and turn a golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry on paper towels.

There are recipes for the sauce online. 

Tags (1)
8 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

Well I may just have to check and see if those are available in my area!  Looks pretty good!

elvan

I will see if our *almart has them. I am sure the guys would like them, not so sure if l would, not much of a pepper fan.

SuzyQ411

Great advice for those who like peppers JonesCarpeDiem‌.. and look at that yummy melted cheese escaping onto the plate. I will alert my son and daughter-in-law on this recipe as they grow and enjoy hot Mexican peppers.

0 Kudos

I'm not much of a pepper fan either.

I'm no fan of horseradish either but I mix it with sour cream and dip my prime rib into it.

These are not what you think they are.

There is no heat.

0 Kudos

These are NOT HOT.

They are super mild.

0 Kudos

I gave my brother a box.

He made them for breakfast and raved about them.

He went and bought 5 boxes this morning. 

0 Kudos
elvan

I will have to try them.

0 Kudos
AndieK

@JonesCarpeDiem  Our family cheats when making these. We make them into a casserole, less mess, taste great and fantastic in tortillas. Traditional way is good as well but I agree makes good size mess. 

0 Kudos