cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

How to Make Kimchi

I'm about to make my first batch of Kimchi.  Anybody out there with experience that they want to share?  I've spent many hours looking on youtube and found some great recipes and ideas.  But why not get it from you guys first hand if you have the experience.  CANNOT find gochugaru in this small town but I did buy some chipotle pepper (Which I heard was a good substitute).  Oh MY but that smells and tastes good!  I dipped my finger in it.  The one I bought is strawberry chipotle.  OMG!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
29 Replies
sweetplt

pastedImage_1.pngWhat Kimchi is ? Sorry I can’t help you Giulia 

JACKIE1-25-15

Ditto, Glad I am not the only one. Do we have to google or are you going to tell us Giulia

JACKIE1-25-15

Here are a "few" of the ingredients, spicy paste, 1/4 cup fish sauce or Korean salted shrimp. 1 Asian radish, peeled and grated.pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

giphy.gif

I'm with JACKIE1-25-15 !

Barbara145

I think it is an Asian health drink with probiotics.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I hope the Asians enjoy it!

Giulia

Oh, what a treat Kimchi is.  Well, only if you like it.  Do you like cabbage?  Do you like coleslaw?  If you do, you'll maybe like Kimchi.  It's essentially fermented cabbage and it's a staple in Korean households.  I never knew about until around 4 years ago or so when my husband discovered it (6-8 ounce jars in the supermarket).  It's supposed to be very good for the digestive system (lactic acid produced).  Think of it as picked cabbage, I guess, would be the best way to describe it.  But the type you buy makes a WHOLE lot of difference.  There's good Kimchi and bad kimchi.  I've had both, and the bad kimchi isn't worth buying.  I had Kimchi in my youth LONG ago in a Chinese restaurant in NY.  One of my fellow actors who was VERY SOPHISTICATED when it came to taste buds and knowledge, suggested we all go down to Chinatown to a restaurant with which he was familiar.  I'm in my late 20's I'm guessing.  

Anyway I was warned that this was EXTREMELY HOT stuff.  Buried in a jar for months underground....  And I don't like hot stuff.  At all!  So I took a weeeee tiny bit on my tongue and it raged.  Hated it!  But that was THAT experience.  And that was supposed to have the effect it did for those who like to have their mouths burned off.  Totally different from my current experience.   Apparently as we age our taste buds aren't as keen as they once were and so we need more salt or more spices or...whatever  - to titillate us.  I'm finding that pepper - a  spice I NEVER put on ANYTHING is something I'm now sprinkling on my food.  How bizarre!

From my very LIMITED experience of delving into Kimchi I believe you can adjust the heat setting according to your taste and the Korean chili pepper flakes (NOT the same as our chili peppers) you buy and how much you put in.  All I know is that I enjoy the heck out of it and all the one's I purchased in the supermarket are not hot at all.  And the chipotle power I bought (which I'd never heard of before - this apparently is a good substitute) is UNBELIEVABLY tongue-wagging delicious.  So even if my attempt in Kimchi turns out to be a failure, at least I've discovered THAT new spice.  And for any of you who don't know about smoked paprika - OMG just go buy some in your local grocery store.  Another taste delight.  Believe me, I am NOT a cook.  I don't much care for food.  I'd as soon eat a raw carrot as a chunk of beef.  I don't live to eat.  But when you find something special - it's - special.  

If I remember, I'll let you know how it went.  Takes about 3 days to ferment.  And never having been a canner or one who "put up" anything, this is kind of my first trip down that road.  I did make chutney ONCE with a friend.  Took HOURS.  I thought - NEVER again - not worth the effort.  Actually the only reason I'm trying to do this myself is because Kimchi is so darn expensive.  And I'm a frugal creature by nature.  

There you go, Jackie.  I waxed.  

PS - just saw your other comments.

"fish sauce or Korean salted shrimp. 1 Asian radish,"  

Just curious is it the fish sauce, the salted shrimp or the Asian radish that turned you two ladies off?  For me I'd guess it would be the fish sauce.  I don't like fish.  But I bought some fish sauce anyway.  Never tried it.  And I'm open to try anything.  Salted shrimp?  We all eat shrimp - don't we?  Asian radish.  Don't like radishes?  

JACKIE1-25-15

All of the above.  It does not sound like a good combination for my taste buds.

0 Kudos