cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication Ticket mismatched, failed authentication Error after I attempted to post.

Jump to solution

I just spent a lot of time putting together an accounting of our Joshua Tree trip AND CAN'T GET IT TO POST.

WHY WHY WHY?

It's to post in the pictures, videos and quotes group. 

I've about had it with this platform.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JonesCarpeDiem wrote:

It was probably the picture size, It didn't say anything about picture size when I tried to post it 10 times.

I did take a screenshot before I gave up.

Authentication Failed.jpg

Thanks for the screenshot. This error is likely because you got automatically logged out because you were on the same page for a long time. It's possible there is a saved draft of your message on your profile for this Forum Discussion Topic. If you pushed the back button on your browser when you saw this message (it might have showed you your post and reauthenticated you) and then if you clicked the "Post" button again it probably would have posted unless there was an issue with picture size, which likely would have presented an error pertaining to that.  

@JonesCarpeDiem wrote:

I guess I didn't realize this sites data limits were so restrictive or set to be that way. I seem to remember, "post anything you want. We have all the space in the world." That must have pertained to the last platform. 

Yes, you're referencing a post I made prior to the last move when asked if people needed to "clean up" their old posts prior to the move. I told them they didn't need to remove old posts because we were moving all the data from the previous site to the new site.  And we did that again with this new community as well.  With Jive there were limitations on posting images as well with new posts. Perhaps the limit was 10MB per post. The video limit might have been 50MB for uploaded videos.

With the change in platform, things are a bit different and adjustments need to be made when new limitations exist.  Khoros doesn't have their own video hosting service, I suspect because it's expensive and other companies do it better. You can upload videos as attachments but there isn't a native video player so you need to download them to play them. Which requires a video player and matching codecs. This way is problematic as it then takes up your hard drive and the file could have malware/spyware.  So embedded video from a known video provider is safest and easiest way to go for all parties. 

Remember we're a non profit. There are real costs associated with providing the community and the other resources available in this intervention. So if someone puts a whole bunch of 3GB videos of their cat/dog or puts 7TB of images on the site then there is a cost to store them. It adds up quickly, whereas text-based posts with some glitter graphics (Less than 50KB per image) associated to them are fairly trivial and it would be a long time before it reached 3GB or 7TB.

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I updated the error you were seeing quite a while ago but I thought it would be helpful to post a copy of the updated text of the error that includes helpful information so that you can recover the most recent save of your drafted post.

The Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication error now reads:

Oops, you''ve been automatically logged out because your session timed-out due to inactivity. If you were in the process of posting and are now seeing this error, your content may not be lost as the site regularly auto-saves most things. Private Messages don''t have auto-save, sorry! To attempt to still post your auto-saved content, click the Back button in your web browser and then attempt to post again. If you were not in the process of posting, simply reload your browser to log back in and resume participating on the EX Community.

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JonesCarpeDiem wrote:

I just spent a lot of time putting together an accounting of our Joshua Tree trip AND CAN'T GET IT TO POST.

WHY WHY WHY?

It's to post in the pictures, videos and quotes group. 

I've about had it with this platform.

@JonesCarpeDiem  would love to help but there aren’t enough details for me to assist.  I need screenshots.  There had to have been an error of some kind indicating what was happening that prevented you from posting.  

-What were the errors?

-How many pictures were you posting?

-How many Megabytes were each picture? We do allow upload of images but there is an 8MB limit per post for uploaded files. If you want to post multiple high resolution images a good way to do it is to host them on Google photos or another photo hosting service and then link them on our site.   This way you keep their resolution and it doesn’t go over the 8MB limit   

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

that's great to know after wasting an hour. I won't be posting any pictures or a description of the trip.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JonesCarpeDiem wrote:

that's great to know after wasting an hour. I won't be posting any pictures or a description of the trip.

@JonesCarpeDiem I'm sorry you spent a lot of time and weren't able to get it posted. I offered to help, but I need more details on what happened so that I can help. At this point I can only guess what might have happened.

My questions to you were to help understand the content of your post on why it might not have posted. Again, I don't know, it's only a guess.

This is a tobacco cessation site first and foremost. I'm glad you want to share details of your recenttrip however this isn't a travel blog or a social media site. You're welcome to post linked images of the trip up here but there isn't a need to put up full resolution images when they can be hosted on other sites in full resolution and displayed here. Additionally each of those images could have a lengthy description if you were to do a recap of your trip.

The  Pictures, Quotes & Videos - EX Community  Group is intended to share images, quotes, jokes, videos and other media things that will help someone with their quit journey, whether it is inspirational, motivating or even a distraction during a crave. We're also not looking to replace YouTube, Vimeo or Facebook with an uploaded video service. 

In conclusion, if you'd like help with your post I'm here to assist but I'll need more details to understand what you were attempting to do and why it was preventing you from successfully doing so. There were likely errors. Understandably sometimes errors do not accurately reflect the issue at hand so I'd love the opportunity to improve them if they are too vague, but until I know the issue in detail it will be challenging for me to assist.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

It was probably the picture size, It didn't say anything about picture size when I tried to post it 10 times. I guess I didn't realize this sites data limits were so restrictive or set to be that way. I seem to remember, "post anything you want. We have all the space in the world." That must have pertained to the last platform. 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JonesCarpeDiem wrote:

It was probably the picture size, It didn't say anything about picture size when I tried to post it 10 times.

Thanks for the screenshot. This error is likely because you got automatically logged out because you were on the same page for a long time. It's possible there is a saved draft of your message on your profile for this Forum Discussion Topic. If you pushed the back button on your browser when you saw this message (it might have showed you your post and reauthenticated you) and then if you clicked the "Post" button again it probably would have posted unless there was an issue with picture size, which likely would have presented an error pertaining to that.  

@JonesCarpeDiem wrote:

I guess I didn't realize this sites data limits were so restrictive or set to be that way. I seem to remember, "post anything you want. We have all the space in the world." That must have pertained to the last platform. 

Yes, you're referencing a post I made prior to the last move when asked if people needed to "clean up" their old posts prior to the move. I told them they didn't need to remove old posts because we were moving all the data from the previous site to the new site.  And we did that again with this new community as well.  With Jive there were limitations on posting images as well with new posts. Perhaps the limit was 10MB per post. The video limit might have been 50MB for uploaded videos.

With the change in platform, things are a bit different and adjustments need to be made when new limitations exist.  Khoros doesn't have their own video hosting service, I suspect because it's expensive and other companies do it better. You can upload videos as attachments but there isn't a native video player so you need to download them to play them. Which requires a video player and matching codecs. This way is problematic as it then takes up your hard drive and the file could have malware/spyware.  So embedded video from a known video provider is safest and easiest way to go for all parties. 

Remember we're a non profit. There are real costs associated with providing the community and the other resources available in this intervention. So if someone puts a whole bunch of 3GB videos of their cat/dog or puts 7TB of images on the site then there is a cost to store them. It adds up quickly, whereas text-based posts with some glitter graphics (Less than 50KB per image) associated to them are fairly trivial and it would be a long time before it reached 3GB or 7TB.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I updated the error you were seeing quite a while ago but I thought it would be helpful to post a copy of the updated text of the error that includes helpful information so that you can recover the most recent save of your drafted post.

The Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication error now reads:

Oops, you''ve been automatically logged out because your session timed-out due to inactivity. If you were in the process of posting and are now seeing this error, your content may not be lost as the site regularly auto-saves most things. Private Messages don''t have auto-save, sorry! To attempt to still post your auto-saved content, click the Back button in your web browser and then attempt to post again. If you were not in the process of posting, simply reload your browser to log back in and resume participating on the EX Community.

EX Community Admin Team