cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c2q

Site Navigation Questions

Jump to solution

Hi Mark and exproductmgr. Still loving the new site; still figuring stuff out. I have a few more site navigation questions:

1. Messages & notifications:
    • How do you filter notifications by both type (message, conversation, etc.) and by participant?
    • In my notifications, sometimes it says "conversation with…" after the little envelope icon and sometimes not. How can I always have only the icon display?
    • The  quotev button in Jive works in a way that I'm not familiar with. How do I quote from another's content?
  2. Editing content
    • How long are you able to edit a blog, discussion, or comment?
  3. View Options
  4.         How can I see all the recent activity of one of someone that I follow?
  5. My Ex Feed
    • Why doesn't a custom stream stay visible when I re-enter my Ex Feed?
    • I created a custom stream based on a tag. Not every content with that tag is showing up in the stream I created. What should I do?
  6. General site navigation questions
    • Can I add a tag to content created by someone else?
    • Can Admin add a "date posted" to items in the content thread?
    • I had trouble creating a multilevel list here. Is there a way to paste multilevel list formatting from what I write elsewhere to here? Should I just attach a document?
    •  Is there a protocol at becomeanex for how to indicate that you've edited something after other people have already responded to the original content?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies

Having them all together in one view reduces the likelihood you'll miss one. I like that they are together but that it allows me to separate them out if I need to be more granular.  Probably more efficient to some but less efficient to others.

Not sure what you mean by "why they require this any longer".  It's not a requirement, it's how it was built and simply how it works.  There isn't anything that I can configure.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

crazymama_Lori wrote:

in the messages, you have to filter them for jive ... jive doesn't like to filter them for you and place them in categories (which I believe would be more efficient), to the left column.  When you go into your red bell, filter by messages (PMs), mentioned is when someone tags you, shared is a link, notification is those goofy mission thingies, connection updates is people following you, which now that they have lifted the requirement on Private Messaging, I don't know why they require this any longer or even what it's used for.... any answers, Mark

My kingdom for a category! or topic!

After I've filtered to find only messages, I want to filter by participant, and topic. If category (message, mentions, shares) displayed as a submenu, we would be halfway there.

Thanks Lori.

0 Kudos

I think some things are hard to find because most people are not putting a subject on their Direct Messages conversations and are starting a new conversation every time they send a messages instead of continuing in an existing conversation so everything is threaded.  I know conversations weren't threaded with elgg so perhaps this is just a habit carried over from a terrible system.  The new Direct Messaging is a lot better now that things are threaded and you can actually see what you are responding to.  

I get a lot of notifications and I have been able to easily find everything I was looking for.  Mostly I just look through the search in the upper right if I am looking for something.  Having a multiple level sort is a nice to have where you can sort by Author and by Inbox notification type.  I'll put in the request to Jive. I'll see how their other customers respond.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

You make an excellent point. A lot of notification and message "issues" may sort themselves out as we all get more familiar with the platform features. I appreciate you seeing about multi-level sort for us. Thanks again.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Moved to https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/community-help?sr=search&searchId=faa409e8-11fa-4029-a0...‌ as it is more about the platform and not about quitting.

EX Community Admin Team

thanks. got it. Ask is for questions about quitting.

0 Kudos

Yes anything about how to use the community should be asked in https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/community-help?sr=search&searchId=810e3a79-f905-4cfc-8d...‌.  Asking questions about quitting should happen in https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/conversations?sr=search&searchId=4650ff90-4a0a-4fd1-908...‌.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
c2q

Mark - this information is exactly what I am looking for. The view I see at the link below does not have these columns

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/content?sortKey=all~creationDateDesc&sortOrder=0   Columns are Title, Author, Created, Views, Likes, Bookmarks, Comments.

0 Kudos

As mentioned on call Monday this link isn't available in navigation. It's an Easter egg of sorts. Most communities have so many communities and sub communities that this view would be overwhelming. Definitely a little different for our community since it is structurally much smaller. 

Megan and I are evaluating where we can have this link. 

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

Didn't realize it was the same link mentioned on Monday. Oops, and thanks to both you and Megan for your efforts.

0 Kudos