cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elvan

Points again

Jump to solution

Hate to bring this up but my points dropped over 1300 this evening...what on EARTH is going on.  I think I would rather just get feedback...I don't understand why my points would go down, ESPECIALLY by more than they have gone up in some time.

What's the deal?  Anyone else?

Mark‌???

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
82 Replies

sorry, Mark‌. I didn't mean to beleaguer the point. I appreciate this site, and you. I'm afraid we are at crosshairs on this issue. Nothing more.

c2qelvan

No worries. I just don't have all the answers and things don't happen fast enough for me sometimes.  Managing expectations and priorities is a challenging thing.  I appreciate everyone pointing out when something doesn't go quite right.  The red looks to be as a result of a recent departure from the site. The person elected to delete some of their posts and that resulted in the points getting deducted. It's unfortunate that that happens but not something I can prevent at this point.  

Whether you like points or don't like them.  It's all good.  It seems that some people like them and others don't and others are on the fence or go back and forth between liking them and not.  Wherever you stand is ok. If you don't care then you can ignore them.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

Yes, it's frustrating. On the one hand, I'd just as soon not have them. On the other hand, if some people are earning points while others who contribute are not, or actually lose points for something someone else did, that bothers me. My points have been static for over a week, at least. Again, in my humble opinion, this is exactly the type of inconsistency that causes people to leave community websites.

I'm as bothered by it as you are. I likely lost points as well though I don't know as I don't typically look at them.

I have my suspicions on what might be happening but I need someone with the tools to confirm it to do so. I also don't like putting band-aids on things so hopefully this will get sorted out so we can put it in the rearview mirror and not be confronted with it.  Last time it was "self-correcting" but that was only a band-aid.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

I really wanted to get to 400,000 just for the halibut and I am now at 392,560 after receiving ZERO points for these past two weeks.

I gave away 8000 points in the space of an hour and what really irritates me is, THEY DIDN'T GET THEM and I don't have them either.

It's absolutely frightening to think there's a point monster in another dimension that can reach through a black hole and take points.  🙂

These Inaccuracies Of The Past Two Weeks Makes This Whole Points System USELESS!

It's like saying "I had my last cigarette on the first of September but had another today."

I think we ought to turn this broken points system OFF.

I agree with Dale.  Over the two week plus period the point software was not working, some people received points and some did not.   Some were awarded points that were tallied and some did not.  The "Leader" board no longer reflects reality.  Turn the points system OFF!

No response needed.

Nancy

0 Kudos

JonesCarpeDiem‌ and YoungAtHeart

The point system cannot be turned off easily.  Some people may find it valuable. As with any computer application there can be issues, some of which can be rectified and others cannot be.  Largely it has worked but in the past two weeks it didn't. Jive is still looking at restoring the earned points. The point system also helps with the spam prevention on the site.  Eliminating it could adversely affect ability to keep spam off the site.

The leaderboard also cannot be easily turned off. It's been said before that the leaderboard can be ignored if you don't find value in it. 

BonnieBee.quit.2.8.15‌ said:

I don't understand all the fuss about the points I just like to give them away especially to the newbies otherwise they have never made much sense to me for example : I see some serial quitters with more points then me and they sometimes have less then 100 DOF because each time they have quit the points get passed on .

Points aren't associated with DoF. They are either earned by participation on the site or acquired via badges from other members.  If someone has participated more than you then they will have more points than you regardless of when they joined or how long they have been quit.  If you have given away your points they could also have more points than you. 

BonnieBee.quit.2.8.15‌ said:

because each time they have quit the points get passed on .

Points aren't passed on when someone quits. 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

I think Jive should go back through each like, and each helpful, and each blog written by every person to every person and make us whole.  🙂  🙂

You forgot to mention the subtractions vs. no additions of awarded points over the period of time it was down.

🙂

0 Kudos

Thanks Mark for the information, and thanks to you and your team for getting this issue in hand. I know that you personally must have been a real driver in getting this sorted out;  it is much appreciated. I'm glad that Jive is still looking into the case because I still would like to know more about what happened, so thank you again in advance for those updates that are coming.

And thanks, Pops, wherever you may be, for raising this question. It needed to be asked, because something that wasn't working right needed fixing.

As far as I am concerned, points are now a detriment to being active on this site, not an encouragement. I'd like to see a show of hands, so to speak, of the people who were negatively affected by whatever technical problem took place. What say you Mark, is that possible?

I'll go first: I lost going on 600 to 800 points just for content I created during the "points outage," not counting points that were gifted to me, which I also lost. As far as I can tell, I also lost  xxx points when someone else deleted content that I had responded to in the past. Everything I feel about this issue is colored by the fact that, I can't help it. So as one of the people affected, I see this as two issues: 1) equity and 2) author's rights. I don't see it as "a little glitch" or as just another leg in the "badges or no badges" argument.

Relating to issue 1) If there is a point system, it should work the same for everyone across the board. If the point system isn't working properly, it should be suspended until it is fixed. Think about the implications if this isn't true. If it isn't possible to reasonably guarantee an equitable system, I'd like to know.

Relating to issue 2) If content has been created and responded to, it should be written in stone and no one should have the right to delete it or alter it except that site administrators may delete it for improper content (not edit it). Period. That's a common cyberethics standard. It has to do with the integrity of the author's work. This is one small item being considered in the Study on the Moral Rights of Attribution and Integrity currently being conducted by the United States Copyright Office. Public announcement of the study may be found here. 

I believe that conversation around this issue is a chance to bring us together and make us stronger as a community. I hope all EXs can freely express their opinion about this issue here. As someone who lost a lot of points, I know that my voice is being heard by EX administrators, and I appreciate it. I hope everyone affected pipes in.

0 Kudos