cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elvan

Points again

Jump to solution

Hate to bring this up but my points dropped over 1300 this evening...what on EARTH is going on.  I think I would rather just get feedback...I don't understand why my points would go down, ESPECIALLY by more than they have gone up in some time.

What's the deal?  Anyone else?

Mark‌???

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
82 Replies

c2q wrote:

Thanks Mark for the information, and thanks to you and your team for getting this issue in hand. I know that you personally must have been a real driver in getting this sorted out;  it is much appreciated. I'm glad that Jive is still looking into the case because I still would like to know more about what happened, so thank you again in advance for those updates that are coming.

It's not likely that providing details on what happened would be valuable.  Jive will continue to investigate to rectify so it doesn't happen again and hopefully credit the earned points.

c2q wrote:

And thanks, Pops, wherever you may be, for raising this question. It needed to be asked, because something that wasn't working right needed fixing.

And elvan‌ too

c2q wrote:

As far as I am concerned, points are now a detriment to being active on this site, not an encouragement. I'd like to see a show of hands, so to speak, of the people who were negatively affected by whatever technical problem took place. What say you Mark, is that possible?

Perhaps a detriment under the circumstances of an issue popping up related to them but overall a benefit.  Hopefully it is a one time thing. I don't see any benefit to expending energy on getting a representative sample of viewpoints on a hopefully isolated event for a feature that cannot be easily turned off.

c2q wrote:

I'll go first: I lost going on 700 or 800 points just for content I created during the "points outage," not counting points that were gifted to me, which I also lost. As far as I can tell, I also lost  xxx points when someone else deleted content that I had responded to. Everything I feel about this issue is colored by the fact that, I can't help it. So as one of the people affected, I see this as two issues: 1) equity and 2) author's rights. I don't see it as "a little glitch" or as just another leg in the "badges or no badges" argument.

Relating to issue 1) If there is a point system, it should work the same for everyone across the board. If the point system isn't working properly, it should be suspended until it is fixed. Think about the implications if this isn't true. If it isn't possible to reasonable guarantee an equitable system, I'd like to know.

Definitely not a little glitch. It was never treated as such. The point system can't just be "suspended". That option doesn't exist and if it did it would be inherently built on the idea that the system would fail. Suspending might also prohibit understanding why the issue is occurring, if you remember this same thing happened about 5 weeks ago and self corrected but couldn't be fixed because they weren't able to "catch it in the act". The issue is a bug. Some people lost ability to earn (Issue bug #1) points, and receive points (Issue bug #2). There is some relation but they're also separate. Hopefully the "earned" actions will be credited. It's still to be determined if that is possible.

c2q wrote:

Relating to issue 2) If content has been created and responded to, it should be written in stone and no one should have the right to delete it or alter it except that site administrators may delete it (not edit it). Period. That is a common cyberethics standard. It has to do with the integrity of the author's work. This is one small item being considered in the Study on the Moral Rights of Attribution and Integrity currently being conducted by the United States Copyright Office. Public announcement of the study may be found here. 

I agree with you that the option to delete shouldn't exist. Unfortunately this is a feature/permission gap that isn't available for me to restrict.  Other community platforms will allow the person to delete but then it moves the comments to be children of the root post.  Hopefully this will be changed in the future to be more respectful of other's contributions.

Censorship-wise I do not agree with blanket deleting someone's post when only a portion of the post is prohibited. It is overly heavy-handed. Sometimes people break the rules because they didn't read the terms and conditions when they join or they forget them. Other times they intend what they post. Regardless, deleting their post in its entirety hardly seems fair. I honestly love feedback and can find value in even the most negative posts. Generally I take a light approach to moderation and only remove prohibited content, indicate where content has been removed and then indicate why something has been edited.  This ensures transparency on what was removed and also affirms that what remains is allowed.  It also hopefully educates for future posting behavior.  Simply deleting benefits no one. Thankfully this community requires little moderation in comparison to other communities I've managed. I'm hoping it stays that way because I'd rather be in the mix helping people than playing tranquility cop.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

I never said you thought the problem was a little glitch, Mark‌; someone else did. I was addressing them.

It took me several hours to compose a thoughtful and considered response. You torpedoed every point I offered with less that 20 minutes consideration given to the things I said.

If you don't get the legal ramifications of what I was talking about, I hope your bosses do. If you have arbitrarily decided that it's not likely that providing details about what happened would be valuable, you are missing a proven morale building opportunity.

that is it for me for a while. I am taking a vacation from this site. ShawnP, I will pm you about the train.

0 Kudos
bonniebee

I don't understand all the fuss about the points I just like to give them away especially to the newbies otherwise they have never made much sense to me for example : I see some serial quitters with more points then me and they sometimes have less then 100 DOF because each time they have quit the points get passed on .

EXactly Bonnie-----they are good for nothing. I just give them away to people with milestones or to say thanks or for whatever. Mine go up and down.......really can't remember where I was the day before or where I am now. I don't think I need points to be on the site....so I don't care if I give them all away. Only, I do have to make my "give aways" for a reason because you have to attach them to a badge.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @all!  

You should be receiving points again.  If you're not, please let me know by replying to this comment.

The case isn't closed out yet.

1. Points you earned while there was an issue may or may not be received.  Jive is still looking into the case. I'll update you when I know more.

2. Points you were given while there was an issue will not likely be received.  Jive has identified an issue where this happens. Unfortunately the points are debited from the account they are given by but don't always arrive in the account they are awarded to.  I'll update you when I know more.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

Mark‌ I am no longer looking at the points or paying attention to whether or not they go up or down, I am not giving them, I felt seriously hurt by comments and I know for a fact that Pops did as well.  It is simply not worth it.  I will continue my participation in EX, but I will say that some of the shine has gone away.  That said, life goes on.

0 Kudos

((((((((((Here's a huge loving, caring, gentle cyber hug from me to you sweet Ellen)))))))))) I've felt for quite some time that the lustre and the shine has gone away my sweet friend and fellow Exer.  elvan but not by you because you are one of the shining stars in this place, you bring the lustre which is really needed to brighten up someone's day.

MarilynH‌ Thank you my sweet friend, that means a lot.  I am not going anywhere. Love you.

Ellen you are absolutely one of the rock stars on this site.  If I could give you points I'd give you a gizzilion.  You're right - its not about the points its about the help that you give, and for that I'm extremely grateful to you.

Love ya, Andy

Thanks HardHead2 , I appreciate that.

0 Kudos