cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jelexie

Missions? Quests?

Jump to solution

Hello, I'm sure this is buried ... somewhere ... in the threads, but I'm one of the quitters coming over from another site and I'm a bit lost. I keep getting notifications that I'm getting Levels in Missions. I have no idea what this is, or what purpose it serves, or what I'm supposed to do with it. Is there a FAQ or something in the archives that might help?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jelexie

It's part of the gamification system available on the site. Some happens automatically based on specific actions you take on a define list based on specific tasks(quests) we've given you.  MIssions and Expert Badges are given based on repetitive actions you take over time. Those are automated and are baked into the system without any influence from us.

Jive Rewards is partially working at this time so that's why you're receiving notifications about the expert badges and missions but I can't share the quests info because the pages aren't loading right now.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

5 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jelexie

It's part of the gamification system available on the site. Some happens automatically based on specific actions you take on a define list based on specific tasks(quests) we've given you.  MIssions and Expert Badges are given based on repetitive actions you take over time. Those are automated and are baked into the system without any influence from us.

Jive Rewards is partially working at this time so that's why you're receiving notifications about the expert badges and missions but I can't share the quests info because the pages aren't loading right now.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Sootie

Mark probably won't like this reply too much (just kidding Mark!) but those things have really very little to do with the actual site...and they are always "breaking" or not functioning correctly. I had some mission badges but I see they are all missing now (they'll be back and then they'll go again...it happens). I also know some people gave me badges but they seem to have disappeared also at this point.

But, those things have little to do with most of us here in the community. Much like your old site, we post, we comment, we support, we send private messages to people we want to do extra "reach out" to, we pledge each day to not smoke.......in other words we help each other quit and stay that way.......regardless of badges, missions and quests.

We also play games and become good friends. We even meet in person once a year ( see the blog titled EX8---we are in Virginia Beach this year).

So glad you've joined us.......WELCOME!

Giulia

I absolutely agree with Sootie.   "those things have little to do with most of us here in the community."  I fought the whole concept of badges for years on this site.  From the moment they were first introduced.  They gave certain of us EXPERT badges at one point.  Can't say what they based their parameters on, but I was horrified that there was one by my avatar,  I told them if they put that nasty EXPERT badge next to my avatar  I would leave the site.  Period.  And I meant it.  I do not want to be held up as someone "special" on this site.  I do what I do, help as I can, but my content is no more worthy than any other contributor here.  If my input makes a difference, people will know that all by themselves.  And they will follow my posts and responses or not.  Which is true for any member here.  A badge does not make a sheriff.  And when leader boards only list the top 10 on the point value system (which Jive does)  - there are a whole bunch of magnificent quitters with wisdom that are  left out of the game.  People who have contributed an AMAZING amount of wisdom from their years quit  Yet they are way down on the leader board.  That's why I have a problem with the "gaming system."  I guess it's just a game I'm not too interested in.

But I DO understand that points and badges are incentives for those who like, need and enjoy them.  Not sure what the best compromise is.  Perhaps just take what you need and let go of the rest.  If you need a trophy, a badge to sustain your quit - that's fine.  Milestones were my badges of honor.  First week, first month, first hundred days....  Accolades and acknowledgements from other quitters were my points.  

We each create our own mission to Freedom.  And you level up in your own self esteem each day you don't put a cigarette or vape or chaw in your mouth.

I mostly don't put a lot of stock into gamification. I know it had it's day 5-10 years ago, but I don't know that there was ever any evidence that it helped most people to achieve their goals. But like you, I feel like if it helps others, that's great! I work in software, though, so when something new comes along I want to poke and prod at it until I understand what it does, so it's good to have some context. 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Rewards system appears to be back up now. So you can view the quests now in your profile.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos