cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SkyGirl

Details about Moderation

Will blogs or comments ever be shunted into moderation without the author receiving a notification?  Also, are photos more likely to be diverted to moderation than simple typed posts?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Giulia

From my experience - I used to get moderation notifications  on a regular basis, now I don't.  What I get now is a notification of the "release" of the moderation only.  There seems to be no consistency to the moderation process.  It could be @ mentions or ... who knows what.   Today I responded on a blog were someone had @ mentioned me with a question and I had NO IDEA what they were talking about.  And then they told me it was because it was "in moderation" and I actually had already responded to it...   Obviously the "system" is not working very well.

I actually saw that exchange between you guys today, and wondered exactly how moderation worked...  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos

At this point it's better not to speculate about what is or isn't wrong with moderation.  It's catching all the bad stuff but for some reason it is catching other things in a very haphazard way.  There is no rhyme or reason,  but I'm confident that some progress can be made now that investigation was done last week with elvan‌.

Mark
EX Community  Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

SkyGirl‌ wrote:

Will blogs or comments ever be shunted into moderation without the author receiving a notification?  Also, are photos more likely to be diverted to moderation than simple typed posts?

I'm not sure what you mean by shunted into moderation.

Hopefully in the near future Jive will determine what is causing a majority of false positives for items going into moderation.  I expect once they figure it out that the number will drop significantly.  However it can't be expected that all false positives will be eliminated.  On occasion someone may post something that mimics similar structure to known spam types. They can't  make the filter so insensitive that actual spam gets through.  

Otherwise posts like this from Juan667 will get through and clutter up the place.  If one gets through they'll tell their friends and be back with a lot more.

pastedImage_3.png

I can't and frankly wouldn't provide suggestions to bypass the spam moderation filter as that would also give hints to the  spammers.  I will say that posts with photos and @mentions shouldn't be any more likely to go into the spam filter than plain text posts.  That's where the mystery lies right now.  Once they get the first thing solved it will either help us determine if there is still a legitimate issue and it's working correctly or if there needs to be some additional tweaks.

I will say it's always better that it's a little overzealous than underzealous.  If it's underzealous then the spammers will flock here and make it a really unpleasant place to be.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply, Mark.  I guess I should have used a different word than "shunted".  What I meant by that was "diverted" or "sidetracked".  I'm kind of imagining a system that is programmed to notice  particular things about a post and then uses a "shunt" to send it off to a different destination (meaning Moderation vs. the blog/comment it was intended for).  I guess this shows my age, but I'm imagining back when a railroad worker would flip the switches to send a train off onto a different set of tracks.  Too much explanation of what I meant; sorry.

I completely understand and agree with the protections that Jive has in place to stop spam from getting through.  Under the old format, we used to get a lot of crazy spam posts.  The one I remember best was  obviously translated from another language and offered to sell us "warm fur boots if we wanted to connect with commodities".  Huh?

I wasn't asking for ways to bypass moderation at all!  I should have been more specific to the actual situation that caused me to ask that question;  I thought I posted a comment on someone's blog (with a photo of the two of us) and it never showed up.  I had seen something earlier in Questions about how moderation worked so I wondered if that was what had happened.  Actually I must have just not hit the "Post" button (boy, is my face red now!)  I rewrote the comment, added the photo and it posted just fine.  So, my bad, I guess.  I'm sorry to have wasted your time.  And I DO appreciate what Jive's protections do for us, Mark!  Thanks for responding to me.

SkyGirl wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Mark.  I guess I should have used a different word than "shunted".  What I meant by that was "diverted" or "sidetracked".  I'm kind of imagining a system that is programmed to notice  particular things about a post and then uses a "shunt" to send it off to a different destination (meaning Moderation vs. the blog/comment it was intended for).  I guess this shows my age, but I'm imagining back when a railroad worker would flip the switches to send a train off onto a different set of tracks.  Too much explanation of what I meant; sorry.

I completely understand and agree with the protections that Jive has in place to stop spam from getting through.  Under the old format, we used to get a lot of crazy spam posts.  The one I remember best was  obviously translated from another language and offered to sell us "warm fur boots if we wanted to connect with commodities".  Huh?

I wasn't asking for ways to bypass moderation at all!  I should have been more specific to the actual situation that caused me to ask that question;  I thought I posted a comment on someone's blog (with a photo of the two of us) and it never showed up.  I had seen something earlier in Questions about how moderation worked so I wondered if that was what had happened.  Actually I must have just not hit the "Post" button (boy, is my face red now!)  I rewrote the comment, added the photo and it posted just fine.  So, my bad, I guess.  I'm sorry to have wasted your time.  And I DO appreciate what Jive's protections do for us, Mark!  Thanks for responding to me.

Ideally most  people in the community wouldn't even know about the spam moderation filter.   Unfortunately it's a little too over-sensitive at the moment likely due to a bug (though it's really only catching small portion of all posts). Once it gets fixed it will hopefully be hardly noticeable. Once Jive figures out what is happening and fixes it, then we should know if there is or isn't anything else going on. If there is anything else going on, hopefully it can either be calibrated or we can identify behaviors to avoid.

Yes the old system was very annoying.  So many Buy Ugg boots posts . When it was a new blog by a spammer it was really easy to report and get rid of but when it was spam on someone else's post as a comment then bad things happened.  Several people (one was Jenn_06-03-14) got banned as a result of spam getting posted on their blogs because people reported the post and the author of the blog got banned instead of the spammer.  Glad that is in the past.

No worries, we all have moments where we think we did something but we didn't. Happens to me too!

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

Well, I was wrong.  When I reposted, it showed up and looked like it posted just fine.  But now it's gone.  Perhaps the OP didn't like it and removed it?  Is the OP the only one who can delete a comment on their blog?  

0 Kudos

SkyGirl wrote:

Well, I was wrong.  When I reposted, it showed up and looked like it posted just fine.  But now it's gone.  Perhaps the OP didn't like it and removed it?  Is the OP the only one who can delete a comment on their blog?  

I don't remember ever seeing anything of yours going into moderation. It could have happened but it might be so infrequent that I don't remember.  

Yes there are some cases where you're able to delete your own post and it will also delete any associated comments. This is really unfortunate as people shouldn't ever be allowed to delete the comments of others even if they are children comments. This happened to me recently as a member decided to remove their post, my comment was removed as well. They probably only intended to remove their own and not mine as well. Unfortunately the response I had given is  now gone forever...

There is a case or maybe a couple where you cannot delete your own post if others have commented on it already.  If the post has no comments then it allows you to delete but as soon as someone else comments, you lose the ability to comment.  This is more ideal. 

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

SkyGirl  From my experience, blogs such as the one Mark mentioned would have been flagged for attention by one or more of the Elders on the site had it been noted.  Dale was up the earliest on the West Coast and caught the majority of them.  I, for one, am not speculating on what is or isn't wrong with "automated"  moderation.  I see the benefits and the harms.  I'm just making a point of the fact that it's there and interfering with the normal flow of the support community as I knew it.  But then - that's "as I knew it."  The fact that it is interfering and that there are questions and confusion about it all is certainly not helpful.  MOO