cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

Badges and Points

To my understanding this new "gaming" concept for our community is quite different than the last - uh, shall I call it "awards" system on the old platform.  On the Elgg platform anyone would get a "badge" just for joining the community.  Then they'd get one for posting a blog.  So spammers would have two badges to begin with.  Thus making the whole idea of badges irrelevant.

What is the intent of this new system of badges and points?  Perhaps a "badges and points" blog or commentary could be put up in the help section to explain a little more about the psychology behind it.  As was quite evident when the bad badges came into being in the first place and the community's reaction, you're going to have to win us over on this one.

To my understanding this new system is based more on actual earned accolades, so that the "system" is less likely to be misused and abused.  But then - once it's understood that you get points for the amount of "likes" you receive (for example), everybody and their friends are going to be "liking" everything or awarding badges - just because.  Which will then make the points and badges irrelevant too.  No?

65 Replies
MarilynH

I'mcurious about this too !

0 Kudos
susan_m

Don't forget rankings, or levels. #SoMuchPressure

Love, 

Susan (level 6, I think)

We shall see! We know who is still gonna be doing what they do! I am curious, too!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
cheyenne7

I never thought the badges made any sense, I had lots of badges in no time and had no idea why I had them.....they didn't mean anything to me......the points won't mean anything to me either, but whatever....

NewMe

I was curious about this as well. However, I have just learned how to write in color and change the font and size of my lettering. This old dog has learned one new trick today, so I guess I am free to go do my laundry and housecleaning now. Thank you, @ ShawnP! P.S.- I wonder if I get some points, or a badge for learning a new trick?  = )

0 Kudos

I never understood the badge concept when I first joined.  Personally I thought badges were juvenile.  Someone once mentioned on one of my blogs about well, I only have 10 badges.  I never understood what that meant.  Instead of having badges or rewards or whatever those things are, a basic FAQ would work just fine for me

0 Kudos
elvan

Could not agree more.

0 Kudos
EX_Team
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Giulia‌ and others on this thread! Lots of great questions about badges/points/leaderboards. Thanks for posting and having this important discussion.

We've posted a help document to help EX Community members learn a bit more about the badges and points on the site -- why we have them, how to earn them, where to find them: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/docs/DOC-1125-about-badges-points-and-leaderboards?sr=search&sear...‌. Hopefully this is helpful! 

Please feel free to ask additional questions or PM exproductmgr‌ or Mark‌ directly, and we'll do our best to keep updating that help guide to make it clear for others.

Well I cannot reply to the document about, badges, points, and leader boards but do have this to say.  I am not here to get points, but I am here to help  There are at least (3) on your leader board ahead of me that have relapsed and have not been active here in a very long time.    Explain that please?  I have worked hard and I have been a very dedicated member of this community for over 2-1/2 years.  I am demanding a f****ing explanation!  Nothing wrong with a reward system - but don't reward people who have failed at this!  dramandagrahamexproductmgrMark