cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Pledge, Bonfires and Quit Celebrations: Traditions born from the members

Roller831

The Daily Pledge - October 2019

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

Happy October everyone and welcome to the Daily Pledge in the Celebrations & Events  community where we can meet daily to take another person's hand and make our commitment stronger.

It is a very well-known fact that the month of October is filled with a lot of festivals all over the world.

The name October has been derived from the Latin “Octo” which means eight because October was the eighth month of the year, according to the Roman calendar. It was called Winterfylleth, meaning the “fullness of winter”, by the Anglo-Saxons because it had the first full moon of the winter season.

Columbus Day, the second Monday of October, is a national holiday and celebrated in many countries of the Americas as the anniversary of Christopher Columbus’s arrival in America in 1492.

Halloween, the spookiest night of the year, is celebrated in a number of countries on October 31, the eve of All Hallows’ Day. It is believed that on this day the spirits can wander the earth freely and children can hop for treats in the neighborhood in the guise of various costumes. Interestingly, in terms of expenditure, Halloween is second only to the Christmas.

Also, in the U.S.A., October not only marks the onset of the festive season but is also celebrated as the National Pizza Month, Popcorn Month, Pork Month and Sausage Month.

Many famous personalities were born in October, including Mahatma Gandhi. Gandhi was born on October 2, 1869. He was one of the famous leaders of the Indian Independence.

Bill Gates, the world’s richest man from 1995 to 2017, was born on October 28, 1955. He is not only the founder of Microsoft but also an investor, author and philanthropist. He built Microsoft, the world’s largest PC software company. Bill Gates is a proponent of higher taxes, particularly for the rich.

Now that you have a few facts about October, it is time to pledge

How to pledge: 

1. Go to top of page and click the link for Latest Reply.Latest Reply.png
    Or you can go to the last page by clicking on the last page of the pagination links.pagination.png
  2. Click on the Reply bubble and make your pledge to the person at the end and then offer your free hand to the next pledge.Reply.png
  3. You've made your pledge.  Come back tomorrow and pledge again.
  4. Check out this handy quit calendar to calculate your DOF!  EX Quit Calculator or check out My Quit Plan.

As you go through your day you know that you have these two people with you and all of you are keeping each other strong. How cool is that! 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
678 Replies
SherilynX

Morning pmt‌ and thank you for your encouraging hand!  I pledge not to vape today no matter what comes my way!  NOPE!  Wild animals couldn't make me puff anything today, Old Nic has nothing on me!

The longer I go the more confident I am that I can do this.  I've quit for good and the daily pledge just reinforces this.  Don't get me wrong, I don't take my quit for granted, I respect my quit!

And I offer my hand to the next Exer ready to pledge!

Sherilyn

90 Marvelous DOF!  YES!!!

Barbscloud

Big congrats..  You've come such a long way with 90 days.  I find the pledge helpful to me also.

Barb

surelauren

Hi all,

First things first, can anyone tell me what “pmt” is? I’m so new to this! Today is my day 3. Leaving at 2am for a 5am flight to Puerto Rico. So not only is this supposedly the peak time to feel the urge, but the whole airport/flying thing will definitely be a trigger for me. It’s okay, I got this. 

The second thing I wanted to say is that my iPhone has been giving me some trouble. I can’t always “like” blogs or actually finish setting up my profile, gotta get to a desktop computer. But I’ve read a couple blogs so far (starting with Pops‌) and it’s some of the best reading I’ve ever had. And this is coming from me, a person with no social media and almost 100% real life interactions with others. But I am loving this experience so far ... Thank you all. 

I extend my hand out to the next person and walk through this day with you saying “we got this” with incredible confidence in both myself and the next exer to take my hand. 

Lauren 

3 DOF

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on 3 days smokefree.  I'm not a social media person either so it's been all new to me.  If you're referring to the  pmt beside someone's avatar picture, that's their Ex name.  That's quite a challenge traveling to Puerto Rico so early in your quit, but it sounds like you have the confidence to be successful.   I'm sure you can do. Just think you wouldn't have to worry about where you're going smoke.   Do you have all your tools in place?  Stay in touch and reach out if you need help.  Have a good trip.

Barb

( I haven't done much on my phone with the Ex; it's much easier on the computer.)

wlh

Thanks for your hand surelauren‌!

Congrats on day 3!

Please be sure to use your "tool box" if needed during this airport/flight thing!  Also you can write a quick something that you need help and someone is always around to help you through this!  Please have a safe and enjoyable trip!

I pledge not to smoke today and extend my other hand to the next in line.

Lynne 963 dof

Kimmysue8119

You got this Lauren. Safe travels to you and remember..

N.O.P.E.  NOT ONE PUFF EVER!

Kim~

Kimmysue8119

Woohoo!! Congratulations to 90 days Sherilyn SherilynX!  Very proud of you.

Kimmysue8119

Mjrquits‌. There are so many reasons to stay quit.  You got this and we got you!

Pops

Hi surelauren‌! and welcome to EX community.  Hang tough...this can be one of the most wonderfully rewarding experiences of your life...or it can become one of the most painfully frustrating experiences of your life.  That is a choice that only you can take.  You know what I mean...glass half full, or half empty sort of psycho babble....just NO SMOKING AT ALL...CUZ YOU AINT DOIN THAT CRAP ANYMORE....YOU.....YEP, YOU.....ARE NOW AN "EX SMOKER!!!!!"  WOO HOO!!!!!

Three days is a lifetime of time when we are new....it took alot to get to three, and soon the days will start to pass faster and faster....

Pops with 55 Days of Freedom!!!

Vicspin

Not sure who the last one was to offer their hand but I grab all of them! I will not smoke today, the cravings will pass. I hold out my hand to the next pledger!