cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read a member curated list of EX Community content over 10+ years

JACKIE1-25-15

Talk the Talk

The constant #1 question in our mind when we first quit is how long will the thought of smoking last. Sometimes the thoughts can be so strong you can actually see and feel that little man on the shoulder.  I know I did.  I had to knock him off a couple of times.  Literally.   When is this going to end?  Some sooner than others but the constant pull can be agonizing.  I was amazed how the addictive brain can really pull to make you think you have to have a cigarette.  I use to tell myself that every day 10 times a day for over 40 years, so that thought was ingrained until I learned to reprogram it.  I learned to debunk that thought by using self-talk.  Often I would tell myself  "no I do not need or have to have a cigarette".  Committing and making a vow to not touch another cigarette will help.  When you take the option to smoke off the table you obligate yourself to do something other than smoke when the urge comes.  It is not easy but it can be done if you plan and prepare to protect your quit. 

You will often hear "this too shall pass".  In order for it to pass you have to be willing to get through it  by any means necessary.  If you have to scream...SCREAM!!!   We are no different from any other drug addict going through withdrawal.  Say NO! out loud. Holler if you have to get through it.   Are you going to talk the talk so you can walk the walk.   Create your own mantra that you can relate to.  Mine was "not in my hands, not on my lips, not on my tongue, not in my lungs, not in my throat, I will not choke".  I had my mind made up. I was not turning back. Tell yourself Yes I can, Stop saying and thinking I can't.  If necessary change the people, places, and things. 

A wise elder once told me not to be "too" confident in the quit.  It is great to be confident but don’t become complacent and think that you are not vulnerable.  Stay connected.  If you have a problem, come here first.  Be willing to take some advice before you relapse.  Be persistent, determined to persevere, no matter what NOPE. Not one puff ever.  Don’t be tricked by that little guy on the shoulder telling you that "just one" is okay.  One puff will do you IN and END a perfect quit.  Quitting is the easy part.  Staying quit is the work.  Use self-talk, it works.  

Tags (2)
12 Replies

Oh si

Giulia

A Elder's blog.  Definitely everybody needs to listen to it.

When you take the option to smoke off the table you obligate yourself to do something other than smoke when the urge comes.  It is not easy but it can be done if you plan and prepare to protect your quit. 

I particularly found the above struck a chord with me on three counts:  take the option to smoke off the table; find something to do when the urge comes; plan and prepare.  The fourth count is - once you have your quit in hand, protect it at all costs.  

And that, folks, is why this person is an Elder on this site.  Because she talked the talk and then walked the walk.  And continues to do so!

2AE895EC-673F-4CB3-A502-BE4204A646B0.jpeg

Great blog Jackie!

Mandolinrain

Wise words from a wise Elder! I like to look at it as though we are going to war and everyone knows wars are one by the ones who are smartly prepared ahead of time, have the correct weapons to fight with and understand the enemy. In our case, Nicotine!

We are winning this war we will not go down!   period!

Nice blog Jackie!

Christine13

Thank you Nancy!!  I'm walking the walk, instead of talking to talk.

jonimarie

You will often hear "this too shall pass".  In order for it to pass you have to be willing to get through it  by any means necessary.

Just reading this now for the first time. I have been telling myself "this too shall pass". And is does by the grace of GOD

DonnaMarie

Sometimes I go back and read a little something from a year or so ago, and I'm glad I saw this post. What a good read. Thank you, Jackie.

Donna

JACKIE1-25-15

You certainly welcome my sister.  God Bless Hope to see you soon.  I visited Hampton Thursday..  Getting closer. 

indingrl

animated_1596052613605.gif