Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read a member curated list of EX Community content over 10+ years

Newbie Advice

We have a saying here that I first heard from my friend indingrl‌: 

Take what you like

And leave the rest...

to be helpful is our only goal!

We don't all agree, In fact we agreeably disagree on many, many things.

For example: once an addict always an addict.

Or you have to want to quit for it to work. 

Or NRTs vs. Cold Turkey vs. Smart Turkey.

Take your time to learn before you quit

vs. Quit Today! And fill your quit time with knowledge.

Commiserate with a relapser vs. Tough Love.

Well, this is just a small sample of how we each have our own opinions. And I can understand how this might be confusing to a newbie but in actuality, it's this diversity that makes our Community so dynamic!

The final word is yours! It's your Quit Journey. It's your LIFE! It's your Recovery - which means reclaiming yourself and starts out by not following anybody else's opinion more than your Own! By listening to various points of view you know what your options are. I have a saying - if you don't know that you have a choice - well, you don't! This diversity gives you choices!

Own your Quit! 

Tags (1)
25 Replies
Sootie

Mark‌    thanks Mark!

Sootie

Giulia‌   G----was thinking that this blog should certainly be considered for best of EX. Hope you agree........

Giulia

Definitely a good one to consider.  I'll put it on the list!  Thanks for recommending it.  Sootie

Sootie

Giulia‌  Thanks G!

Baroncee

Am a beginner again.. you all are giving me more confidence than ever before..

Giulia

Confidence come from education and openness to learn and a willingness to make mistakes.  We all have.  We gain confidence each time we move one step closer to our goals.

Baroncee

Thanks Giulia

elvan

We are here and we all want you to succeed, take it one day at a time and when that's too long, take it one MOMENT at a time.  You can do this...look at the people who came before you and are still here. 

Education, support, and commitment will get you through anything and everything.  I suggest reading a blog written by JonesCarpeDiem‌ https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/6040-my-welcome-to-new-members-12-years-of-watching  He has MANY helpful blogs that you might want to check out.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

DonnaMarie

Hooray for new beginnings! Without them, I'd be an active smoker. 

Donna

Day 47

Deelonnsoul

Thank very encouraging for the new comer who is gun shy..