cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read a member curated list of EX Community content over 10+ years

Sandy-9-17-17

Happy but Sad!

I had a heads up phone call last night, and it made me feel rather sad, but still happy to be heading off to Florida for a trip I earned from not smoking and saving over $1,600 this coming weekend.

My ex sister in law, let's just call her my sister, as she was so much more my sister then my brother who mistreated her when they were together....called me to give me the heads up on her now spouse!  Here I am bragging to her that I quit smoking, and she calls to tell me that he has been struggling and has now taken up smoking!  She was calling to give me the heads up as she doesn't want me to be in shock when I get there.  And I would have been, because I have never known him to smoke.  Well, I learned that he is like me when I was a smoker, he is considerate, and walks away as he doesn't want anyone who does not smoke to have to smell it.  I know that I will be fine, smoking is not an option for me, not now or ever!  But I feel for him, and will always hope he finds his way back to being a non smoker!  

Tags (1)
14 Replies
Barbscloud

Are you visiting them while you're in Florida?  Don't let anything ruin your trip!  

Sandy-9-17-17

Yes, they are who we are going to see!  They just moved down there a few weeks ago!  And it won't ruin our trip, but I just find it sad that he felt the need to start smoking!  I will be very happy to see both of them!  They are great people and we all will have an amazing time!  It's just in reverse now....it use to be me that smoked, and now it's not!  

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I am so happy you are able to make this trip.

Might you take your SIL's beau  a copy of the Allen Carr book to have on hand when he is ready? I don't remember if it was helpful for you - but if so, you might share that with him, as well.  Be sure to also share the name of this site, and let him know you will help any way you can if he wants you to do that....again, when the time comes.

I hope you have a fantastic time!

Nancy

Sandy-9-17-17

Oh Nancy, that is a great idea, I will for sure do that!  These two mean a great deal to me!  I am so happy I might burst!  I have always wanted to go to Florida, just never thought it would happen!  I don't care for making plans much, so my beautiful niece took care of plane tickets!  I know the four of us will have a great time!  

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Go enjoy yourself. I love Nancys idea.! You might just be the blessings he is needing right now....to help encourage him and extend the 'tools ' to him to help him be rid of this addiction. Just protect your own quit first  

AnnetteMM

He sounds like my stepdaughter's fiance who cups his cigarette in his hand and faces away to blow smoke.  I feel sorry for him when he does this because I remember the feeling of shame and worry behind what looks like consideration.  Maybe you'll be a good influence on him.

Sandy-9-17-17

I wish I could say I were scared of losing my quit, but I'm not scared about that in the least!  I am a lifer!   A Chain Non Smoker! 

AnnetteMM

That's right!  You simply cannot afford to mess up that countdown

Barb102

Have a great trip. Just maybe with your kindness he may decide to quit like you did. Just offer this site. Enjoy yourself