cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darahart

Writers

I love to write.......and everytime I put my pen to paper, I want to light up a cig. This is killing me. Literally, I guess. Glad to meet you!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
heatherco2010

I love to write, and I love to smoke!  I notice that I want to smoke more when I am writing with pen and paper then when I'm typing.  Typing and smoking is somwhat awkward since you need both of your hands to type.  Just a thought for all of you fellow writers/ex-smokers out there.  Maybe try not to use pen and paper... and type instead? 

0 Kudos
angie46

i kinda got the hang of typing 1 handed and smoking lol I normally spent all day everyday on the computer so being on the computer makes me wanna smoke more i smoked 2 packs a day and did everything and smoked

0 Kudos
michael105

Hi, I'm Michael, and I'm a writer, too.

Funny, but I don't tend to smoke when I use pen and paper, only when I type. I type a paragraph, stop, take a drag, then type another paragraph. I've been smoke-free for 9 days so far, and am not going completely bonkers.

More ideas flowing into my head, too, which is helpful.

~Michael

0 Kudos
angie46

hey micheal im glad 2 c u found the group we were talking about

0 Kudos
michael105

Maybe it's just a trick my brain is playing, but I have 11 days today, and I feel like my brain is waking up. Does anyone else feel that way? Like your thoughts are coming to you more easily, and you can write more easily because of it? That since your sense of smell is coming back, you can add more texture to your prose or your poetry? That your brain is working double-time to come up with new ideas? I'm excited by this!

~Michael

0 Kudos
michael105

By the way, I just bought a new book. It a collection of George Orwell's nonfiction, and it's unlike any other collection of his writings I've ever read. Orwell was primarily an essayist like me, and he had it down. He writes about everything from politics from the 30's to just everyday topics, but his style is similar to mine (or I should say his style influenced mine), and it's a joy to read!

Its title is Facing Unpleasant  Facts: Narrative Essays. it's a brand new compilation,  and I recommend it.

~Michael

0 Kudos
angie46

Michael I quit smoking 3 months ago and I havnt written anything since december of 08 idk why nothing inspires me anymore so many people who have seen what i have done say i should of never quit especially since i had a publisher who really wanted 2 publish me she was just waiting 4 me 2 get more done but when i left my ex i wrote 1 last poem and quit I have sat down with pencil and paper and just let my mind race but anymore i just cant do it Nothing insires me anymore idk why. 

0 Kudos
michael105

Well, Angie, I said I had more ideas, not that I'm FINISHING anything! LOL.

I'm just one of those people whose brain is always working, but since I quit smoking 2 weeks ago, I'm getting a lot more of it down on paper. I used to just stare into space having *deep thoughts,* puffing away, and never getting anything down. I've realized that if I don't write, that idea or turn of phrase is lost forever. So, I write it down now.

This holds the pattern for me: When my boyfriend left me, I wrote more, not less. I have to fight chronic depression in my life, and I need to feel as if life has purpose. It's just the way I keep from going absolutely nutty, and hopefully do something really crazy, like send stuff out without thinking too much...maybe eventually I'll get published.

~Michael

0 Kudos
phantomphan

Hi all, I just saw this group and decided what the heck? I am a writer by passion, smoker by habit. I have been trying to quit for almost a month now and I have to say it is one of the hardest things I have ever done. I am hoping to get some support and some tips on how to make not smoking my new habit. Thank you all so much for your time.

Kayla

0 Kudos