cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Switched from Acrylics to Oils

This is what I am currently working on between Elders....this is my grand-daughter, one of the twins. I am doing this in Oils. I hope to finish her this evening possibly? i have the kids here starting in morning till later on Saturday, so my window to paint is about to close again for awhile. Anyway, here's Vivien:

IMG_0334.jpgIMG_0335.jpg

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
8 Replies
elvan

She is SO BEAUTIFUL!  What an amazing start!

Ellen

marciem

What a cutie patootie!!  She really is gorgeous!

Isn't there a huge difference in the drying times between oils and acrylics?  Ok, I know nothing and not afraid to show it LOL!

Mandolinrain

I can't say huge, but yes there's a difference. Acrylics, cheep ones dry extremely fast. Good acrylics can be spritzed with water to keep their life on the pallet, not so much on the canvas though. I have always found watercolor and acrylics to work much alike. My only experience with Oils has been with my Reverse painting on glass of Horses. It dries fast if applied thin and I paint those types in layers. It can take me weeks to do one of those. 

This is totally new to me....Oil on Canvas. So I can't answer on the dry time but so far as I go, I am finding the oils to be MUCH more forgiving and am loving the looks of a more normal skin tone. I think a lot here must matter with the application as well, how heavy paint is applied. Perhaps someone else on this site with more knowledge than me in this area can tell us  

But I am learning and having much fun doing it.

YoungAtHeart

I used to LOVE the smell of an artist's studio with oil paint and (turpentine?) maybe - for cleaning of brushes?  I loved the look of the palette and knife that was used for mixing colors, too.

My aunt was a professional artist and I always remember her fondly when I encounter those smells! I spent hours in her studio watching her work, and attempting my own works of "art!"

I love the one you have started.  You are so adventurous!  I have a difficult time embarking on journeys where I have not prepared and don't have an expected outcome.  Perhaps it's just my control freak side showing????

Enjoy the twins!

Mandolinrain

I have been using mineral spirits to clean the brushes then a glass with dish soap after then I stand them bristle side up in canning jars to dry  Maybe you should try to paint, you may really enjoy it. The cool thing about Oils is you can leave it and go back to it later. The acrylics/watercolor....not so much...its harder for me anyway. Good quality acrylics sealed and spritzed , give ya a day to 2 and thats it it Im lucky

sweetplt

Vivian is precious and you truly captured this Missy...Mandolinrain 

~ Colleen 235 DOF 

Mandolinrain

Thanks  I am really liking Oils better.

Strudel

Wow - precious!