cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KayamiLyn

Knitting Project

Started this last night. Getting a start a bit early to see how long I can knit before a craving.. I'm actually surprised. In 4 hours I had one craving.  This is going to be my definite go to! A small lap blanket I'm thinking of using for the foot of my bed. Literally not an afghan throw but something to cover the legs and feet up when sitting in a chair or on the bed.

20230110_095743.jpg

I'm not sure if I can even find anymore skeins of this particular yarn, I'd love to break up the grey with an off white or a lighter gray.

Love & Blessings
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
7 Replies
KayamiLyn

Update:

Quit Blanket Day 2.jpg

I'm finding time goes by quickly and I've also realized I've dropped a stitch (fixed) and failed to knit 4 rows of six stitches on the border lol. Ahh it's a quit blanket it's not going to be perfect!

Love & Blessings
YoungAtHeart

It looks PERFECT to me - because it is perfectly fine as long as you don't smoke! 

Your knitting is lovely.  I learned to crochet from How-To pamphlets.  Don't think I could do that for knitting -more's the pity!  Such a nice skill to have!  Glad it is helping!

Nancy

KayamiLyn

Thank you! I have to be honest @YoungAtHeart I find knitting to be easier than crochet and there are tons of beginner videos on youtube. I learned from a blind woman but when it was time to try new stitches I hunted online for beginner stuff. YouTube was my go to because I could pause and practice the step before the next one.

I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and a pinched ulnar nerve in both elbows so crochet bothers me a lot (I do miss it). But with knitting I found there's no twisting and if I hold my yarn just right I don't have to move my elbow, instead I use my entire arm. Something I can't do with crochet. The last crochet I did was a blanket my mother and I worked on together. It's since been tied off and I use it on my bed as is. Without her it wouldn't be right to attempt to finish. Crochet was her thing. I only did it with her so we'd have a "Mom and daughter project". 

My passion is definitely knitting.

Love & Blessings
YoungAtHeart

Interesting!  My Mom and I made "Granny Square" afghans and I learned a couple of stitches with her for them.  I later had to learn all kinds of stitches when I made hats,  mittens and scarves to match current outerwear for my two daughters every Christmas when they were little.

I learned to needlepoint with her, as well.  She used to buy canvases with the design already done and we filled in the backgrounds.  BORING,  but - I did learn the basics that way,  I have since freehanded small scenery pieces of the arches from Arches National Park and an interesting tree I photographed at the Grand Canyon nd gave them as gifts.  I put the 3x5 canvases inside a floating frame.   I now am thinking about doing a fox drawing I got on a card this year.  Foxes are special to me for some reason.

Maybe I will give knitting a try!  Thanks for the encouragement!

KayamiLyn

Foxes are amazing creatures! I'd love to see some of your work! I tried needlework...I made more of a mess than anything. My grandmother was always making table runners and pillowcases. I still have the one she ever made me... worn thin and the threads are barely there. It's put up in a drawer to never be touched!

I also diamond dot (kind of like paint by numbers only with plastic shiny dots that stick to a canvas. I can't think when I do it so today will be a day I pull my supplies out and give it a couple or three hours. I am only happy when I'm creating, whether it's knitting, drawing, journaling or diamond dotting. 

I say give knitting a whirl, if it's not your thing, then that's okay too! But it does keep you focused on it, and not those stinky things we try avoiding! It works well for destressing over things as well!

Keep me updated on how it goes!

Love & Blessings
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@KayamiLyn Lovely.  Keep using that quit tool!

Barb

biscuit9

Very nice quit project, and I have one too.  It's a table runner and it's a pattern I know very well.  Truth is, I was gonna start a whole new project during my quit.  I think I started it quit day 2 or 3?  I found out real fast how easily frustrated I got with something new and my brain just couldn't deal with frustrations at that point of my quit, so I relented and did an easy pattern just to keep my fingers busy.  My mom taught me to crochet as a child, and because she didn't learn to knit, I never learned either.  I think it's wonderful that you are using knitting as a distraction.