cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gridley513

Creative and Crafty Quitters

Anyone want to learn how to knit or crochet? It is a great thing to do with your hands when you are quitting. It can be really addictive as well. I am working on an afghan and have been making a square when I get the urge to smoke. It is going to be my Quit blanket.

Hoping to find some other people interested in doing some crafty artsy stuff while quitting!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
48 Replies
skye

hey there...your afghan looks great. I haven't offically quit yet, but I do crochet and it keeps me from hanging out the bathroom window smoking!!
0 Kudos
gridley513

Thanks! So glad you joined my group so I am not alone lol!!

That pic is an older afghan. I am working on a new one now. If you want the pattern, I would be happy to send it to you!! It has several different sized squares. The small one is perfect to do instead of smoking a cig, and it is a very cool funky looking blanket. 🙂 Good luck on your upcoming quit date!!
0 Kudos

Well why the heck not! Everybody should be in this group. A year ago I started a weight loss program and have since lost over 80 pounds. I was afraid if I quit smoking I'd stop losing, or even gain weight, so I decided to do a quit smoking detox over Lent (thinking it might help if I thought sneaking a cigarette would get me struck by lightening). I've lost weight despite gaining the prescribed water weight (my doctor says the water number on the scale should be at 50 and it was always at 45 before. Up to 50 as of Sunday and have still lost 7 pounds this month). I also took up knitting, have become a sugar free chewing gum connoiseur (so far prefer Lush 5, with Extra's Fruit sensation berry coming in a close second), got myself a theme song (whip It by Devo) and even compiled a quit smoking victory songlist on my iTunes.
  So yeah, I guess that's pretty creative. Heck, it's worked so far - a whole month - when the best I've ever done was a long weekend (during which I pretty much slept 23 of 24 hours) and I went cold turkey after the first three days. Go figure.
0 Kudos
Jules7

Hey there. I am working on a bunch of quilting projects. I do crazy quilting which is all about using scraps of material and then embroidering the seams since it is not sewn like a regular quilt with hidden seams. I am working on a block of the month quilt in the traditional quilting style and a wall hanging block of the month with Corintians (love is patient, love is kind, etc.) on every other block with flowers in between. I like the hand work of embroidery and I like cutting and sewing blocks together too. Matching corners is time consuming and makes me forget I ever smoked. I have finished a few projects since I quit but seem to always have more undone then done! Thanks for starting such a great group!
0 Kudos

good gracious! That makes my hand knitted quit-smoking-unidentifiable-victory-object look like a piece of cake! I'd love to be able to see it. I'm not skilled at posting pictures, maybe you are, or maybe someone else could help. It sounds fantastic. Maybe I will knit something with Corinthians once I have figured out how to knit something that looks like a known object.
0 Kudos
Jules7

Girl I cannot knit so you are way ahead of me! I can crochet a doily 🙂
0 Kudos
skye

yeah--that projects sounds like it would require a pack of cigarettes for me to do!! All I can croche tis blankets, and I can't follow a pattern, so they all look the same. I have howeer finally figured out the ripple effect...but still can't read the pattern for them...
0 Kudos
gridley513

Jules, that sounds like a nightmare to me, but then I totally love and appreciate the look of those kinds of quilts!!! I would love to see pics if you are up to it. 🙂
0 Kudos

...And I in turn would love to see suggestions on what this is trying to be. I'd say scarf - or shawl, but it seems to be growing in width - maybe a very-large-metal-funnel cozy? Oil change anyone?

0 Kudos