cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hattie

A nifty little afgan to keep your lap warm and your hands busy!

I found this little number out in internet land. I like it and it will sure keep a pair of hands busy for awhile! Give it a try!

Granted, it calls for a specific type of yarn, but you could use anything or any color that suits you! Pick your needles and start knitting!

Bear Claw Throw

Easy Project.

Throw measures approximately 44" x 60".

TLC® "Amore™", Art. E515 (6 ounce solid/4.5 ounce multicolor skeins): 26 Ounces No. 3103 Vanilla.

Circular Knitting Needle: 5mm [US 8]-36” . Yarn needle.

GAUGE: One repeat of 18 sts = 5 ¼”; 21 rows = 4” in pat. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needle to obtain the gauge.

Cast on 152 sts. K 6 rows for lower border. Now work in pat as follows:

Row 1 (Right Side): K4, * K1, yo, [K1, P3] 4 times, K1, yo; rep from * to last 4 sts; K4 -168 sts.

Row 2: K4, * P2, [K3, P1] 4 times, P2; rep from * to last 4 sts; K4.

Row 3: K4, * K2, yo, [K1, P3] 4 times, K1, yo, K1; rep from * to last 4 sts; K4 - 184 sts.

Row 4: K4, * P3, [K3, P1] 4 times, P3; rep from * to last 4 sts; K4.

Row 5: K4, * K3, yo, [K1, P3] 4 times, K1, yo, K2; rep from * to last 4 sts; K4 - 200 sts.

Row 6: K4, * P4, [K3, P1] 4 times, P4; rep from * to last 4 sts; K4.

Row 7: K4, * K4, yo, [K1, P2tog, P1] 4 times, K1, yo, K3; rep from * to last 4 sts; K4 -184 sts.

Row 8: K4, * P5, [K2, P1] 4 times, P5; rep from * to last 4 sts; K4.

Row 9: K4, * K5, yo, [K1, P2tog] 4 times, K1, yo, K4; rep from * to last 4 sts; K4 168 sts.

Row 10: K4, * P6, [K1, P1] 4 times, P6; rep from * to last 4 sts; K4.

Row 11: K4, * K6, yo, [sl 1, K1, psso] 4 times, K1, yo, K5; rep from * to last 4 sts; K4 -152 sts.

Row 12: K4, P to last 4 sts; K4.

Rep Rows 1-12 until approximately 59" from beg, end Row 11. K 6 rows for top border. Bind off loosely in K.

ABBREVIATIONS: beg = begin (ning); K = knit; mm = millimeters; P = purl; pat = pattern; psso = pass the slipped st over the K st; rep = repeat; sl = slip; st(s) = stitch (es); tog = together; yo = yarn over; * or ** = repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated; [ ] = work directions given in brackets the number of times specified.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
babs13

Hattie, 

This looks so pretty!  I don't know how to knit or crochet.  Wish I knew how.  I could use some busy hands projects.

0 Kudos
hattie

Heavy sigh!

Looks like we'll have to come up with some virtual lessons. Make it as though we're sitting at the table, drinking coffee, telling lies and having fun! And... while doing that teach and learn how to knit and crochet.

Now, that would be fun! I've looked at some of the videos on youtube, but haven't really found anything that is truly good for learning to knit or crochet... the instructors 'assume' too much so the student misses very important little things. Most people who can 'do things' are lousy instructors, because they don't know how to explain things... they can show... but they cannot explain.

0 Kudos