cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

donpauli

Danged withdrawals, ain't they a bitch!

Smoked a lot of years and a lot of cigarettes. Hate to think of the jars I had outside to stash the butts. Disgusting. It's day 7 and I'm doing alright. The obsessive thoughts and feelings to have a smoke are as it from another place. Suddenly I have a huge urge and mental picture of lighting up. Woo. Takes a few minutes to shake it off.

One strategy that is working is not having any cigs around. I 'm not going to jump in the car, drive to the store and in California pay over $8 a pack.

Think about how much you save in a week. For me it's almost a car payment in a month. 

Have you thought about a rewards game? Here's how it goes. Think of something you want: a new shirt, dinner at that new place in town, new walking shoes. OK when you've saved up enough money from not smoking TREAT yourself to that very thing. Congratulate yourself on having the discipline to hit your goal. Gloat, brag it's a huge win.

So to start my day I lay still and express all that I am grateful  for starting with being grateful for feeling the freedom from the cigarette habit. Fresh breath, cleaner lungs, healthier heart and the desire to serve the world unchained.

Tags (2)
10 Replies

Congratulations on seven days!! That's a great start to a fantastic future! And yeah, pretty much everyone here knows what a pain those first days are. Looks like the attitude is perfect!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I'm thinking your day ALSO starts with a good dose of DOG BREATH!

Seven days is HUGE  - keep at it!

Nancy

0 Kudos
bonniebee

wow EX-cellent !!! What a great attitude love it and you are on your way to freedom these hard days will pass as you just "shake them off" smooth waters ahead !sayings quit flow with the river.jpgYou are doing a fantastic job and I love your positive thinking What is your reward going to be ?

0 Kudos
dwwms

Congratulations on 7 days!! Hell week is over! Next week should be a bit easier.

It's a great idea to give yourself a reward for not smoking. I haven't been saving the money I'd have spent but I have noticed that now when I look in my wallet, there's money! And I don't have to check to see how much I have cause I need cigarettes!

Doug

gregp136

7 is great!  You are doing it.  And yes, having no cigarettes helped me also.  Keep reading, chatting with others, having fun here.  Personally, as soon as I figure out how, I am moving into cyberspace right here at Ex.  

0 Kudos
elvan

donpauli‌ Congratulations on getting through the first week.  You CAN do this. Look at what you have already done.  I put money away so that I would have a stress free Christmas that first year.  Didn't quit work out that way but that's a whole other story.  I quit over three years ago after smoking for 47 years with the exception of pregnancies and some short term failed quits because I didn't have the education or support I got from this site.  

Welcome again to EX.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 7 days.  

0 Kudos
gardenancy8

Congrats on a week smoke free! I have been treating myself every week with a gift! I am so loving that part of it! lol 

shashort

Congratulations on 7 days and out of hell week now to heck week. YOu can do this just hang in there.

0 Kudos