cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

quitgaryquit

A thank you in advance

Hey Mark 

Thanks for following me, my big day is the 17th, and I could'nt be more excited about it, looking forward to talking to everyone about the trials and tribulations of my quit, gonna need a lot of help but I have never been more confident, countless times I have tried but this time seems different seems doable. I will extend my hand to someone in need and expect the same in return (lord knows i'm gonna need it) Looking forward to this journey but most of all I am looking forward to the big number 6, i am confident i will get there....        Thank you all in advance!!!

13 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  You have come to the right place for a new day and a rebirth.

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking.This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke free. Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. 

Start First, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Education is the key to a successful quit.Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         Here are the links      http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/  

Also Read   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdfGo to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. We will support you. You are in your journey for freedom

0 Kudos
dwwms

Welcome Gary!

Two things I notice in your post - you're excited and confident! Both of these will help you tremendously, but you also need a good plan. Take heed of the advice from Jackie and educate yourself giving you the knowledge to know what you're up against. The quit plan on this site is also very helpful, re-learn habit, re-learn addiction, and re-learn support. I'd recommend when you track your cigarettes, you make note of how much you actually enjoyed smoking them and how they made you feel - this helped me tremendously during the few days cause when the little monster (my name for the addiction) tried to tell me how good a smoke would be, I knew better!

We are all here to offer help to others as well as ask help when we need it. There is an awful lot of support available here - and we all need it when we are starting the journey. Mine is only 2 weeks old at this point, but I wouldn't be where I am without this community!

We are here for you as you begin your journey to freedom!

Doug 

elvan

quitgaryquit     Welcome, Gary.  We are here and you have time to do all of the reading and preparations, that is what makes the difference between past quits and THIS quit.  You said your quit date is the 17th but your blog says that most of all you are looking forward to the big number 6.  I am confused, what is the big number 6?

Ellen

0 Kudos
gregp136

elvan I think he is referring to the same thing I have my eyes on....the 6% club!

0 Kudos
elvan

Ah HA, thanks gregp136‌ that went right over my head.

gregp136

Gary, you have a great attitude.  I am also a rookie, about to hit three weeks.  Do what the elders tell us, and come here and talk.  A lot.  Read everything you can.  We are here for you, and if you have something to give, we will happily take too.  We are here for each other!  A big Welcome!

You know that so long as you're ready, we're here to help! And if you're not quite ready yet, then we're here to help! Please take heed of any information given to you. Any little tidbit that you find just might be the quit saver that you need. But most importantly, the quit lives inside of you. We can't take the path to freedom for you, but we can do all we can to make it easier.

Looking forward to hearing of your success!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

quitgaryquit

Hello everyone

In the interest of starting my prep work I tried a little experiment this morning, my #1 trigger is without a doubt driving to work, I would normally smoke 3 sometimes 4 cigarettes within the 35 minute drive, today I decided I wasn't going to smoke at all (NOPE) well i'm here to tell you it wasn't a very pretty ride BUT I made it to work without smoking, I consider this an accomplishment, it is 6:10 in the morning and I haven't had one yet, when i normally would have had at least 5 or 6 by now, I know my actual quit date is the 17th but i'm going to try to go the day without ANY!!! I will keep you all posted.

0 Kudos
gregp136

quitgaryquit‌, Great job.  It wasn't pretty, I am sure....it is beautiful!  Listen to your body, your brain, how is it responding?  How is it fighting you? What will you do on the 17th to deal with that?  This is so great.  And if by chance you do smoke today, that isn't a failure.  You are just way ahead of the game!  Great Job!

Greg

0 Kudos