cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

donpauli

Fighting the Urges

Just got a new heart stent unblocking a 95% blockage. Stent placed up my arm with an overnight at the hospital. Major reason I'm here. Doc says I gotta quit. This is day five and the urges are fierce but getting further apart. I can smell a lot better already. Using this space to help me keep in touch with other people in my same place. My mind keeps thinking "wouln't a smoke be great right now".  Time for a nap. 

13 Replies
shashort

Hello and congratulations on day 5 your doing great. You don't to mess up that new cleaned out artery by smoking.  Do what you can t get busy and get your mind off the craves.  First couple of weeks are the roughest you can get through them them but it does takes some work.  I ate mints, water bottle with ice water that I carried everyday and still carry it everywhere with me.  Other things to do take a bath and soal and relax ( can't smoke with wet hands) Chant NOPE (not one puff ever) and you don't do that anymore and Smoking is not an option (SINAO), shout, puch a pillow.  The idea keep mind off focusing on smoking.  It will get easier but you have to go through this step first.  Read lots and lots of blogs and educate youreslf to nicotine addiction. Lastly Take a big long breath through your nose and slowly blow out the breaths which is good relaxation keep repeating. Stay Strong YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

YoungAtHeart

I hope you are working on reading the recommended materials or other folks' blogs on here?  There is much good information to be found (and (BONUS) it makes a GREAT crave buster!

Hang tough!  This is not easy in the early days, but it gets easier and easier as time passes.

Nancy

gregp136

Day 5!!! Super.  For me it is all about brain control.  Today driving home, I drove by 8 different places I had bought cigarettes in the past. Yes, my brain starts the "Just one..."  But I need to cut it off.  I need to stop it BEFORE it plants the seed, that will grow.  It may take days to grow, but it will grow into me stopping and buying a pack.  I cannot let that happen. Not one Puff EVER!  I do not want to have to start over.  I cannot bend.  I control my brain, for me, to live, to fully explore the joy of LIFE!

Wow! Day five! And you have a darn good reason to quit, by your own admission. Don't worry. There's a lot more benefits in your future if you just stay true to yourself. Try to keep focusing on the future, where the reward lies for what you're doing now. You CAN win this!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Mandolinrain

Hope your feeling better soon. Congrats on day 5. 

0 Kudos
bonniebee

Greg is right you must think positive thoughts when the addict in you starts to take over your thoughts .....Kick out that ole Nicodemon !  In AA it is called stinkin' thinkin'  don't let it get a foothold !

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on five days of freedom from nicotine. We all have thoughts of smoking, but we keep it just a thought and not act upon it.  It  will get easier as time passes.  Stay close. 

MarilynH

Welcome, read everything you can right here on this site because there's a wealth of information to strengthen your resolve to remain smoke free but you can and will be successful one precious smoke free day at a time and we're all here to help you through any rough patches that may come, stay close. 

elvan

Wow, sorry for all you are going through, you DO need to quit and STAY quit.  Please read blogs, read suggested things from people who are here.  I wanted to quit for a long time but my actual quit came very suddenly with pneumonia and an exacerbation of COPD, it DOES get easier and the craves get weaker but you have to do this one day at a time and keep saying NOPE, Not One Puff Ever.  If you feed the addiction, you are the loser.  Please read, stay close and see this as a road to recovery.  e

Ellen