cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dwwms

White-knuckling a Quit

This term has popped up several times over the last month as I've become active on the site. It is not one that I was familiar with before now, but it really does explain a lot. I thought it might be useful particularly for us newbies to explore what this means.

It seems to me if you quit but don't really want to and somehow you maintain the quit - you're doing nothing but fighting the quit the whole time! It really explains why the last time I quit, I failed - it was because I was quitting more for my wife and not really for me. As altruistic as that sounds, it's a recipe for relapse.

I lasted for about 2-3 months fighting it the whole time - unable to think about anything else other than smoking! It was driving me crazy. I wouldn't allow myself to focus on the benefits of quitting (though I knew them) cause deep-down I really wanted the addiction to win.

If anyone has heard the term "dry-drunk", then white-knuckling is basically the same thing. A dry drunk is someone who has quit drinking, but hasn't accepted it and chosen to live life fully without it.

That's not where I want to be with my Quit. I want to be positive and embrace what life has to offer without needing a crutch.

Doug

19 Replies
Daniela2016

You are right!  I first heard the term "happy quitter" for a period in my quit when I made the choice to be happy about it.  And I know, and longer time elders can confirm that happy quitters have it all much easier than the rest of the quitters.  But nobody but yourself can make you a happy quitter.  It is about seeing the benefits (and there are a bunch of immediate benefits, as many as long term) at the forefront of your brain!  There won't be much room on the brain left for the craves, for the feelings of "losing your best friend", for all the negatives that accompany the quit!  And we all know there are no negatives in fact, apart for the uncomfortable short lived crave from time to time!  Even these are losing power in front of our decision to remain free!  We make the decision every moment of the day, every day!

elvan

dwwms‌ A white knuckle quit is exactly what you are thinking, you fight the entire time, you are consumed with thoughts of smoking because you never started to recover, you never took your quit one day at a time...you just saw it as endless torture, endless deprivation.  You did not see yourself GROWING, you did not feel the growth because you did not have the education about smoking as an addiction and recovery as a journey.  Every quit I ever had before this one was a white knuckle quit and thoughts of smoking were endless.  I went back to smoking every time because I was tired of fighting those thoughts all the time. I don't know how anyone can sustain a quit that is based on white knuckle fighting.  Education and support are absolutely essential and they are both here along with lots and lots of humor.

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

Another part of a white knuckle quit, I think, is a belief that you are giving something you want up, that you are losing something that DID something for you.  You don't have the education to understand that smoking only reduces the stress it CREATES, that you can achieve everything you think smoking does for you in a different, healthy way.

In the final tally, smoking does not one thing FOR you.  Once you understand that, it becomes a liberating experience to be free of the addiction.

Good topic, Doug!

JACKIE1-25-15

It is the believing that creates the achieving.  The day that you know deep down in your heart and soul that you will no longer smoke no matter what is happening in your life you will win.  NOPE no matter what. Congrats on realizing it's your quit that counts.  The main thing is to protect the hard work. 

susan_m

For me, the key to beating a white knuckle quit is to just let smoking go - go through the stages of grief, accept that you are a non-smoker, and focus on the upsides of quitting.  It sounds easy, and it really, truly is.

I promise you this, Doug, there is not a person on this site that loved smoking more than I did.  I loved every single cigarette, even my last one, and yet I have had a happy quit.  There is a part of me that will always miss smoking, and will miss my smoking life.  Do you know what that makes me?   HONEST.  It makes me honest.

As much as I loved smoking, it had become a giant pain in the ass, and time was not on my side with regard to my health.  I was smart enough to know I had to let it go.  I chose to be happy about my decision, and I chose to celebrate myself for each of my victories.  

It was hard - and when it really got hard, I turned to this site, and the people here never, ever let me down.

Choose to be happy, and when you can't, let us point out all the reasons that you should be.  

Image result for happy quitter

elvan

This response is wonderful, Susan.  I tried repeatedly to @mention you but it would not go through..Mark‌ I know she has an underscore, I tried over and over again and it just wanted to connect me to her blog.

dwwms

elvan‌, when there is an underscore, copy the name and then paste it after the @ symbol. That seems to be the only way to make it work if there's an underscore in the name (until they fix this quirk)

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Doug. Thanks for jumping in and providing an alternative to elvan. If you copy and paste the username you don't need the @ symbol as the link to her profile will turn into an @mention automatically.

I have posted the "work-arounds" here: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/constanceclum-blog/2017/03/28/help?commentID=668095#comment...  for people with underscores until the bug is fixed.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
TerrieQuit

Thanks, Dougdwwms, Good blog! You are educating yourself into a very strong quit! Congratulations!  ~Terrie~