cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

emostruggle

To take the plunge.....

I am completely new to actually writing anything here but I have been reading on this site for about a month.  Sorry if this is long...

A little bit of backstory.  I tried to quit about a month ago, I read Alan Carr's book twice and jumped in without any preparation or anything.  It was horrible to say the least.  I was mad at the world for 6 days (not a fun person to be around) just sat and dwelled and grieved on the fact that I didn't have my "one thing" that was mine.  I caved on the 6th day after crying uncontrollably all day for no reason.  I thought I was just to different.  I have since read so many things on here that lead me to believe that it was all normal, even the grieving which I thought made me a freak because why would you grieve over something that is trying to kill you... anyways here is my actual question, my quit date isn't until next week. But this is my second quit day...the first came and went and I went into panic mode and just didn't. So I have all the hard candy, stuff to do, toothpicks, straws etc.  I have been making my own smokes and now I am almost out of tubes. I told myself I won't go buy anymore tubes, but that means quitting early which even thinking about it puts me into panic....I don't know if I should take the plunge early or buy a pack instead of buying 200 more tubes or to wait until my actual date.... sorry I don't know if this makes any sense or if I am just rambling, thanks for being out there and putting in time on here so I can see I am not a complete basketcase lol

36 Replies

I say Take The Plunge! No better time than any. Come here and blog all day everyday! We will be here to encourage you and get you through it. The beginning is tough but being smoke free is so worth it. I have so many good things happening and life is just so much better without cigs. You can do this!

emostruggle

My husband is a month and a half in on his quit and he tells me the same thing, and I can see how much better he feels.  But at the same time I don't know if I am ready to go through the first month yet after last time.  The stupid coconut in my brain is always beating at me.  Hmm maybe I should explain that, I watched Moana a couple of weeks ago  and there are these bad guys that are just a ton of coconuts that have weird faces painted on them.  As I have been "practicing" for my quit it made me think of those guys coming at me and me kicking them away, kinda made me smile and the image is stuck in my brain

gregp136

You are asking yourself the right questions, now seek the answers on here and inside you.  Just be warned that whenever you quit some of what you are talking about will be there.  It is not a fun road, but a necessary one, with milk and honey at the end!

gregp136

You must do what is right for you.  I have seen people take the plunge and succeed, and others fail.  For me, I needed to stick to my stick date, and build up my excitement for my quit. I wanted it to be like Christmas as a 6 yr old, it couldn't come to soon. But I made myself wait to allow the excitement to grow.  

So you need to decide, what will work for you?

emostruggle

I have thought about this, and there are some moments that I feel strong and excited and ready and then others that I feel weak and panicky and that I just can't handle it.  Ugh my head go's in so many different directions in the course of the day its amazing I'm not dizzy all day long.

0 Kudos
ShawnP

I've been through that too. You are fighting with the addictive side of you. You have to mentally separate the 2 in your mind. Just remember that you can have full power over that addictive side. Don't give it any power at all!! Keep saying N.O.P.E, S.I.N.A.O!!!

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

ShawnP

I was rolling at the time too and i was left with that decision. I took the plunge cause i knew if i bought another box, i might not end up quitting. I was always good for saying, i will quit tomorrow, or next week and the day never came until i came to this site and decided this is it. I am ready. You can do the same too but you must keep saying to yourself, that you will never take another puff again, no matter what life throws at you. It's not always easy but its doable. Take it one day at a time and maybe set little goals. Lets get through day 1, lets aim for 5 or 10 and so on. You can do this!!! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!

YoungAtHeart

Nope - not a basket case at all.  You are fighting a devil of an addiction, and most of the battle is in your mind.  You want to keep getting your fix because you can't imagine your world without it.  You have lived your life with it in it through good times and bad, through thousands of cups of coffee, thousands of meals, thousands of work breaks.  You are set to travel an unknown road - and I won't lie - it's not easy!  BUT - it is so doable.  You caved after you had probably gone through the most difficult time.  The first two weeks are the hardest.  You must stay BUSY and committed.

Take the plunge at the end of your papers.  Listen to Henry Ford's wisdom:  "If you think you can or think you can't, you are right!"  Think you CAN! 

There is no time like the present.  Seize the moment!  GO for it.  We will be here to coach you through it. 

Nancy

MarilynH

I agree with Kristen above me, there's no better time like the present time, believe in yourself, be willing, determined and totally committed to succeed and you can and will be successful one precious smoke free day at a time or one minute or if need be one second at a time but as long as you have the right mindset towards your precious quit and hold onto the fact that Quitting Smoking is Doable, easy no but definitely Doable, we're all here for you but it's up to you when you start your day WON......