cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gregp136

How bad is it?

Okay, so the urge hits.  This is a medium one.  It can be hard to describe.  Is it a hunger, a wanting?  And how close does it bring me to breaking down and smoking?  More than yesterday?  Less?

So I ask myself these questions, and I realize the very worst urge has yet to be that bad.  If I had a choice between one urge, and one shot in the gums at the dentist to deliver Novocaine, I would pick the urge in a minute.  So what makes quitting so hard?

Tomorrow makes quitting hard.

When the dentist comes at me with that needle, I know it will be over it one minute.  

But when I have my urge, my desire, I foolishly ask myself :

When will this end?

Will I feel this way tomorrow?

Will it be worse?  

How long can I hold out?

Really, 30 days?

60?

Can I really hold out?

So my struggle is not with the "Nicotine free rushes", it is with my fears and doubts.  I need to enjoy the fact I am smoke free today!  The rest will take care of itself!

Greg

22 Replies
RachelMB

Greg-

You're doing such an amazing job!  I used to think that there was no way that I would make it a week, a month, 2 months, etc.  We have all been there.   Remember the reasons that you are doing this and they will pull you through the rough moments.

Rachel

fddc34080a17e10103f9f874c76a811f.jpg

freeneasy

You only have to be concerned with today with your quit.Just don't smoke today Tomorrow will come soon enough. You will have another day of not smoking behind you and you don't want tomorrow to be like the day before you quit so you do what you did today.

elvan

One day at a time is plenty...you CAN do this.  You ARE doing this and you are doing it with great humor and one of the best quittitudes I have ever seen!  Just keep going one step at a time...no one knows what tomorrow is going to bring, all we can do is live in today.

One day at a time, one craving at a time.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

YoungAtHeart

All good advice above.  Some days you will need to take this a minute at a time..but get through that minute and then the next and get busy ---- and then you will notice 15 have passed.

Day by day it gets closer to being easier.  Just let it happen - I promise it will.

Nancy

gregp136

It seems that writing down my thoughts on here is the best way to avoid temptation!

Reading your blog made me remember when I would smoke right after the dentist and having Novocain. I could barely hold the cigarrette between my lips cuz they were so numb. But the addict in me made it work. Lol..

You're doing awesome! It does get easier.

bonniebee

Hahaha that is funny i did that too the addict could not wait !

0 Kudos
MarilynH

One precious smoke free day at a time, one minute or even one precious second at a time will get you through to the evenings where you'll be smiling because of another Day WON! N.O.P.E  - Not One Puff Ever will give you a beautiful smoke free life and you are doing super fantastic.gregp136