Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bonniebee

status updates

Jump to solution

Okay another question about status updates : 

I have sent a few and a few of the people I follow commented on them . I am wondering how many people see them.... do they show up in everyone's inboxes ? Do they show up only in the Ex'ers one is following ? Are they only found in inboxes ? Okay that is a bunch of questions !!! 

I am thinking maybe it works like our old message boards when someone would send a greeting out to all members ( I never did figure out how to do that .) 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

BonnieBee.quit.2.8.15 wrote:
I have sent a few and a few of the people I follow commented on them . I am wondering how many people see them....

Depends how many people look at it while it appears on the home page of the site. Depends if you've mentioned someone. 

do they show up in everyone's inboxes ?

Only the people who follow you who have inbox checked in following for you. See below.  I'm following Sootie but not in my inbox so I wouldn't receive an inbox notification for her status updates.

following-sootie.png

Do they show up only in the Ex'ers one is following ?

They show up other places as I mentioned to Sootie‌ here: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/6887-status-updates#comment-79723 . But yes people that are following you will see it other places people who are not following you will not.

Are they only found in inboxes ?

No. As above, they will need to check box for inboxes if they want to receive your notifications in their inboxes. They do choose in their preferences if they receive an email notification. And once they interact it with your content they'll receive inbox notifications according to the frequency they've set unless they stop following your status update or "hide new activity" in the inbox.

Okay that is a bunch of questions !!! 

I am thinking maybe it works like our old message boards when someone would send a greeting out to all members ( I never did figure out how to do that .) 

Yes with @Mentioning people it kinda works like that.  You're limited to 420 characters so conceivably you could fill a whole status update with just usernames of 420  characters and not have any characters left to type a greeting.

Hope my answers bring some clarity.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

22 Replies
MarilynH

I'm also curious! 

elvan

I have no idea but it's a great GROUP of questions.

Jennifer-Quit

elvan‌ and I were discussing this last week-end.  I started a status update and asked people to let me know where it showed up for them.  For me - it initially shows up on the home page on the right hand pane under recent activity.  If I comment on it, then I get notifications in my Ex Inbox (the bell).  Others (including Ellen) said they received inbox notifications on a new status updates even if they had not commented on these.  I assumed they meant the Ex inbox by clicking on the bell, but now I am wondering if they meant notified in their personal emails?  Good question and sorry that I do not know the answer.  Maybe Mark‌ can shed some light on this.

elvan

Not my personal emails, I disabled that after my emails got overwhelming.  My inbox is the one here.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jennifer_Quit_05-01-14 wrote:

elvan and I were discussing this last week-end.  I started a status update and asked people to let me know where it showed up for them.  For me - it initially shows up on the home page on the right hand pane under recent activity.  If I comment on it, then I get notifications in my Ex Inbox (the bell).  Others (including Ellen) said they received inbox notifications on a new status updates even if they had not commented on these.

Yes if they are following the person in their inbox.

I assumed they meant the Ex inbox by clicking on the bell, but now I am wondering if they meant notified in their personal emails?

Yes it is possible if they have email turned on for Inbox:Activity in their preferences and they're following that person in their inbox even if they haven't interacted with that status update yet.

Good question and sorry that I do not know the answer.  Maybe Mark can shed some light on this.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
jconfusion

ok im so lost I don't know or see what you are talking about updating satutuas?

0 Kudos
freeneasy

I don't check them or know what they are. I'm already confused with info overload.

elvan

I click on the bell and it shows me all of the things in my inbox on here and status updates are among them.  I do not know if they are only on people I follow.

0 Kudos
bonniebee

Hi Ellen ....When it showed  up in your inbox did  it say status update  from BonnieBee ?

0 Kudos