Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

You Did Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Stupid stuff happens every day and it's good to

learn to laugh at yourself

rather than reach for a cigarette.

I had to change out that water heater a few posts back.

The new water heater was bigger than the old one and I couldn't get to the side to solder to the pressure relief valve due to the forced air heater being in the way and a gas line 2 inches from where I would have to solder.

I needed something flexible and heavy duty I could clamp together.

Fortunately there was a weird brass adapter that I would have never found or even known existed sitting on top of the forced air unit.

So, I go in search of the heavy tubing. The home supply store has changed. You now have to buy 25 feet of many tubing sizes for much of their stock even if you ONLY need one foot.

I can't spot anything that will work, roll or not. An employee finishes with another customer and asks me what I need. I pull the fitting out of my pocket and we eventually find something that fits the old fitting. It took what seemed a good while (10 minutes?) and, I certainly was thankful we found something that would work but, the fitting I brought in to size the tubing is nowhere in sight.

I checked my pockets 3 times and we both hemmed and hawed while  looking everywhere our eyes could go in search of that fitting.

Finally, I thought, I don't need that fitting and I told them it wasn't a problem and I walked away.

As I raised it up to the counter to pay for it, the fitting was right there in the end of the tubing.

DUH

any stupid thing happen to you lately?

12 Replies
MarilynH

Thanks Dale for this post, quite a few stupid things have been happening to me lately and all I can say is that I'm so glad that I'm an Ex Smoker and that I protect my quit because lately life has been rough but smoking certainly isn't the answer and as you say, I don't do that anymore and besides life is going to happen whether I smoke or not! 

Learning to laugh at yourself is indeed the best response to errors. Some days it seems like my whole day is a comedy of errors. Like yesterday, working in the yard and trying to get some landscape fabric down. I cleared a long area. pulling all of the weeds, rolled out the fabric and weighted it down so the wind wouldn't catch it, and piling rocks around the edges. I was getting ready to cut exes in it to let the plants through. Except I couldn't find my knife.

As one might expect, I did find the knife under the fabric! I did find it amusing at the time, especially since I glanced up at the porch and my wife was standing there laughing at me. But then, I'm her entertainment a lot!

Have a great day!

Chuck

YoungAtHeart

and WHY, might I ask, do they make garden tools with black handles?????  I lost my flower cutting scissors so many times I finally tied some red ribbon on them!  My hand tiller has been missing since last Fall.  It had a GREEN handle - and no place to tie a ribbon.  Ditto the trowel!

While typing this, the answer(s) dawned on me:  1) to make me feel stupid (I just HAD it - how could I have lost it?, and 2) self preservation.  They KNOW I will need to buy another.  I might add that I LOVE the tools I have, and can never seem to replace any with ones I like as well.  Why must they change the design of tools every season????

But I'm not smoking over it!

"-)

I believe we need to stay one tool ahead so we've accepted its shortcomings before we use it.  🙂

Giulia

I think they make them green a) because they aren't gardeners, b) they WANT us to go crazy searching for them.  

I paint all my garden tool handles bright yellow.  And still lose them on a regular basis!  HA.  (I used to smoke while gardening.  Always fun having a cigarette in your mouth, two hands weeding, looking down,  the smoking going right into your eyes....  NOT ANY MORE!!!

Oh, I was a horrible smoker while gardening, (and any other project for that matter). I find I get a lot more done since I quit. And everything smells so much better. I'm sure it always did. I was just incapable of enjoying it.

0 Kudos

I also lost about 20 micro sprinkler heads somewhere in the yard. I intend to go buy a different variety today but I know as soon as I get back with them, lo and behold! Those things will be right in front of me. I also know I have gremlins in my yard, moving things around. There's just no other explanation! I mean, I know it couldn't be ME!! I haven't seen one of those pesky gremlins yet, but I'm keeping an eye out for them!

Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Giulia

Ah yes, those garden gremlins!  It's all THEIR fault!

Image result for garden gremlin pics

ccrider

Are they gremlins or elves, I think the travel in packs! I have more than a few in back and front garden, nevermind the vegetable plots.Not only do my tools disappear but the ties and other stuff for the plants go also!!