cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Pop goes the Soda!

Who doesn't like that sugary hit of caffeine on a hot day? Yet, soda is really bad for your breathing! It's the carbonation. Even flavored mineral water causes breathing problems for folks with COPD.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/drinking-soda-raises-risk-for-asthma-copd-study/

Like giving up Sickerettes, giving up sodas can only happen with "what do you do instead?" Did you know there's a website for that?

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/healthy_eating/drinks.html

I have ice cold water with me 24/7. I just add a slice of lemon or lime, fresh berries, or orange slices. I still drink my coffee - 2 cups at home in the morning and 2 cups throughout the work day - never after 2 pm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2727200/

I rarely drink alcoholic beverages - a beer on a hot summer's day. I can't get through a six pack in a Year!

We're all different. Share your ideas on beverages and breathing... we can learn by sharing!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
18 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I make my own flavored sun iced tea. I put a large cold brew tea bag in a big glass of cold water and put it in the sun ( you can put the glass in a sunny window in the winter).  Let that steep for quite awhile.   Then I brew a cup of green and mango tea and let that sit (bag in) until cool. I pour both in a small  pitcher and have a concentrated tea blend.  Start, then, with a glass full of ice and half of glass of cold water and add the tea blend to suit how strong you like your tea.  No sugar needed (and you can get the benefit of green tea without the blah!)

0 Kudos

Is This A Trick Blog?

If I Drink While I'm Breathing, I Die.

I drink those pint bottles of spring water.

Occasionally a swig of cranberry juice drink.

A margarita once a year

Beer about as rare

MarilynH

I enjoy my morning coffee, usually 3 cups and I drink it black, every so often in the afternoon I'll have a cup of green tea or peppermint tea but mostly I drink water at least a litre a day but probably more like two, I may drink 2 glasses of pop a yr, thanks Thomas3.20.2010

0 Kudos
elvan

I used to drink 6-8 sodas a day, now I am down to one or two.  I drink cold tea and I enjoy that and I drink lots of water, that has been very helpful in keeping me away from the sodas as well as the cigarettes.  It really is about discovering a balance with diet, exercise, LIFE. Thanks Thomas3.20.2010

0 Kudos
Sootie

This discussion is so relevant for me right now. I was just sharing with G that I am "quitting" diet soda....and have a new found perspective for the newbies again. I am once again, experiencing those crazy quit feelings....but with soda! EXAMPLES:

>I really HATED everyone in my office who was having a diet coke today

>I was sitting at my desk actually telling myself......if I had a diet coke, I could focus and get through this grant.

>"Rationalizing"----I think they are good for me......I feel better when I have one!

>I'll just have one because its Friday........but no more.

Yes! Here I am all over again....only with soda......just no train!

0 Kudos

Something to post on your fridge, Sootie

Sootie

Thanks Thomas! I've quite a few more than "one" in my lifetime and know it is  not a healthy habit..............however as we USED to say of cigarettes......"but I LOVE it"  HA!

0 Kudos

Sootie

So what will you drink instead?

0 Kudos
Sootie

I've been at this for awhile now-----have not had a diet soda since Christmas. Mainly drinking water.......getting to love it when I never,never did.

Wine also works for me ----but, of course, they frown on that while at work, church, shopping or driving!!!!!