cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

llehrer222

I Quit Addiction Finally

I had my last disgusting puff at 4:30 p.m. today. How about words of experience/wisdom. I changed my quit day mamy, many time in the last 4 weeks but never quit not once.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I would recommend you re-read the comments on your first blog.  There is some great information and advice there. 

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go the the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and quitwell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

llehrer222

Thank you bunches, Nancy. When I wanted to quit over a month ago I remember emails from you and Thomas. You are now my family. 

I remember it was about 4:30 when I put out my last cigarette over six years ago. For me it was an exciting day but like everyone, I of course had a fight to deal with. And fight I did. Every day until I was free. In the tough times, it helps to remember the goal. The freedom from addiction and the peace that comes with it.

Be sure to come here and blog if you experience difficulties. It really does help! I blogged endlessly during my quit, and we're here to respond! I look forward to your future success!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

llehrer222

Chuck you have inspired me........Linda

0 Kudos

My best advice - go to whyquit,com/Day 1. They have very good tips that will help you get through withdrawal. That will keep you busy until bedtime.

llehrer222

Love all you ex's. You Rock!

0 Kudos
llehrer222

Thanks for all the fabulous words. I love this place with all of you. I am currently having a cookie and hot tea at a new place. I love that noone can smoke in public places in Michigan.  Do all 49 other states have the same law?

0 Kudos
gregp136

Only day three here, so I know what you are going through.  Follow the advice of those with more experience then I.  They are amazing!

llehrer222

Thanks and blessings to your success  

0 Kudos