cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ausoj

day one the hardest??

I find the first day-two days most difficult. Is that strange? most people talk about day 20 or so-and-so most difficult and day one easy. Either way! Today is my day to quit. Wish me luck 

9 Replies

No, it's not strange. Actually any scenario you come up with isn't strange because Smoking Withdrawal is as much about what you the Quitter expect as it is about the withdrawal. If you expect Day one to be very hard - then it will. But there's Power in that! We can also talk ourselves into believing that this Quit will be easi-er - and it will! You decide!

There's a lot of helpful information on whyquit.com/Day 1. Maybe you can relieve some of your symptoms by reading that.

I wish you the Very Best! Determine to become a Success and you will!

0 Kudos
gregp136

For me, and what I have gathered reading through personal experiences here, everyone is different, and every quit is different.

0 Kudos
c2q

I wish you success. You can do this.

0 Kudos
ccrider

take it one day at a time or one hour at a time , you can do this, you are stronger than the nicotine, have a great smoke free day!

JACKIE1-25-15

The first 24 hrs can be the hardest, but it is doable.  All you have to do is tell yourself that you can and believe it.  Quit smoking has it ups and downs.  Good days and not so good days but "doable".  We have the power tohave dominion over a substance.

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. 

Welcome to EX.  You have come to the right place for a new day and a rebirth.  

This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smokefree. Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. 

Start First, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links      http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

Also Read   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. We will support you. You are in your journey for freedom

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Forget all that you've "heard" and become your own expert!  To begin, there is no such thing as luck involved in quitting smoking.  It takes education, preparation, planning and commitment.  It isn't easy, but it is doable.  Every quit is different, as every person is different with different smoking histories.  In my case, I didn't find this site and all it's helpful information until 4 days into my quit.  I greatly struggled toward the end of day one - but that's mostly because I had no idea what I was doing.  You've come to the right place to find out!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I also highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go the the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

Welcome to EX.  You have gotten some wonderful advice above.  I hardly remember my first day because I was so sick but I can tell you that there are good days and there are bad days all along this journey, just like life.  Some days are really hard and other days just seem to go by without any issues.  

You can do this!

bonniebee

Hello and welcome !

For me the first 2 days were the hardest and I found  #2 to be the hardest of all . On day one I began with so much enthusiasm that it pulled me through the hours fast  on day 2 the reality of the oncoming craves and withdrawal hit me but I breathed through the craves ( 3 deep breaths and slow exhales relax  your body muscles on last exhale it  really helps !!!!  I had my trusty straws ( straws cut into thirds ) and other mints etc I was also on the patch which for me took the edge off the withdrawal symptoms . Day 3 a bit of  a relief withdrawal not getting any worse ,seemed to level off and  from then on practicing to be an Ex ! Like Thomas said our thoughts play a big part in our withdrawal . Negative thoughts I would not accept.... I ignored them and replaced with only positive helpful thoughts don't get pulled into negative arguments with your addicted self which I call the nicodemon.... hahaha I stayed close to Ex at all times reading blogging messaging etc The support was really what i neede the most and has gotten me to 25 months of freedom ! 

I smoked for 52 years if I did it I believe anyone who puts there mind to it will succeed ! Make a plan, discipline yourself, make a commitment  stay with the Ex'ers and ask the good Lord to help you ! sayings welcome sun.png