cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

The Seven Year Itch

Seven Years ago today (2557 DOF) I launched my Quit! So how does it feel to be out here?

Well, part of me is Proud of my accomplishment knowing that my chances of getting here were not good - but I did it! Yeah!

And there's always that whispery voice - "just one doesn't hurt!" It's still there, barely, and easy to ignore but it would also be easy to listen to had I not prepared myself for just this thing!

I think the most challenging aspect at this time in my Quit Journey is this:

When do I get back to normal?

But Life isn't like that, is it? Life changes, circumstances change, we hope it all moves progressively forward. I have a new job, I have become a grandfather (a second baby girl expected in September!) and as the gentler saying goes, Life Happens! So no, I will never get back to anywhere!

Nor will I arrive in this Lifetime! Each time I hear of another person passing away so young it scares me. Yet isn't that the there that I'm seeking? The irony of living!

Years ago I was introduced to the concept of the New Normal. There is no going back - only forward - but I won't always feel the angst of Nicotine Withdrawal. It didn't just disappear one day. It was a long process of becoming! Oh yea, no wonder BecomeanEX is so apt!

Actually there is a lot of Science behind all of this Social EXperiment that is our EX Community! From No Man's Land to the Freedom Train, from the EX trips to the EX Café - they're all based on solid research!

And so is the New Normal! The good news is we each get to create our own New Normal! Yours isn't mine isn't somebody else's! They're as individual as each of us!  And perhaps that is the there we are seeking!

So what kind of road map can we use?

/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2014/01/27/finding-our-new-normal?sr=search&searchId=0cb144dd-f2e8-4b53-...

Well, not really a Road Map - more like a starting point! Besides:

49 Replies
TerrieQuit

Congratulations on 7 Years, Thomas! What a huge accomplishment! I read the link /blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2014/01/27/finding-our-new-normal It is fantastic! Thank you so much for stay around here and sharing your knowledge with us!  ~Terrie~ Don't Quit on your Quit!

Enjoy your day!

Thank You, Terrie! Your friendship means a lot to me!

sophia-22

Congratulations Thomas on 7 years smoke-free!

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and information about nicotine addiction and so much more. Your blogs are priceless!!

Thank You, Sophia! I want to bring others across the 6% line!

JustSharon

You are a true Inspiration. keep with it, you're lifetime commitment. Congrats on the new grand baby coming up.

Thank You, Sharon! Smoke FREE is sooooo worth it! I agree with Marilyn! Even more so with the babies to think of!

MarilynH

Congratulations on your awesome 7 precious years of Freedom  and a super duper congratulations on your new granddaughter arriving in September.  Life just keeps getting better and better without that crutch.  our grandchildren sure makes life so much nicer because even if I'm having a bad day Mason can say or do something that brings an instant smile to my face, I can't believe he'll be 8 on Saturday, Adam just turned 13 a couple of wks ago and Emma will be 15 in September! Congrats again Thomas3.20.2010‌ . yikes they're growing up so fast! 

1487974598080.jpg

Wow! I look forward to seeing the girls grow! Miss Penny is taking here first steps!

Thank You, Marilyn for being a Great Friend and inspiring me daily with your Wonderful home-spun Blogs!

MarilynH

And I thank you too Thomas3.20.2010 ,you've been a big part of my quit journey too and our journey continues, Miss  Penny is at a great age and those 1st steps are so precious actually watching her 1st of everything is awesome.