cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Addict Thinking

I would have agreed with this man some Years back. That's before I learned about second and third hand smoke! What would you say to him if you could?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/comment/15156685.Leave_us_smokers_alone/

Bolton is a suburb of Manchester in England.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Well, being a person who has been diagnosed with COPD even though I felt perfectly healthy kind of tells me how much merit  to give this guy! He might not be sick now, but wait a week, month or year and he might be telling an entirely different story. I remember how my addiction clouded my thinking when I smoked. I also remember when the cloud cleared so I understand where his thinking comes from even though that thinking is dangerous to himself and those around him.

I also remember when the cloud of my addiction cleared. I was amazed at how deceptive our own minds can be when we're addicted!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

If this man has any kids, and if he ever smoked inside the house, he should feel the guilt to having exposed them.  I felt the guilt even while I was still smoking (moved it outside though about 15 years ago).  Somehow I did not care so much about my husband (almost like because he was an adult he could defend himself, ha), but I felt terrible as a mom exposing her son.  I still do. 

Even as an outside smoker, even in the presence of other smokers, I always attempted to blow the smoke away from everybody. 

How can this man be so oblivious in this era of information? 

Is he just justifying his addiction to the world?  I can imagine his suburb area being full of damaging fumes (considering the climate not conducive to clearing the air), but other than moving out of the area, one has no other choice, but make it part of the daily life. 

Smoking is different: it is a choice we are making for ourselves, and not an excuse to harm anyone else!!!

0 Kudos
elvan

I would have sort of agreed with him that smokers have rights, however, I never wanted to expose anyone to my smoke.  I knew that it was bad for kids, asthmatics, and other people who had underlying issues.  I really did try to stay as far away from people as possible when I smoked and I DO object to exhaust fumes and diesel fumes,  I think it's horrible.  I HATE exposing myself to the pollution others pass on, including those who stand next to an entrance I have to go through and smoke.  It is incredibly offensive.

0 Kudos
bonniebee

I once would have partly agreed with him . I was in a lot of denial about second hand smoke but on the other hand I could not deny what it was doing to my lungs at his age I was already coughing my head off and wheezing with almost every breath. I had also  tried numerous times to quit by that age  .There was no doubt in my mind about the dangers of smoking . 

We certainly can't blame all death or cancer on cigarettes the sad fact is mankind is doing so much damage to the earth and the oceans probably even polluting space ! 

I have become much more conscious of  these environmental problems since i quit smoking I am very concerned for the children growing up with GMO foods, polluted air etc . I have made many changes in my own diet .I am using the money i would be spending on the cigarettes to eat organic food now .

My friend still smokes and is in such denial about her own addiction and the possible health risk to me as I  breathe in  her second hand smoke. She, like that man , does not believe second hand smoke is harmful to anyone and that your death has nothing to do with how one has chosen to live . Not my view at all but I try to be somewhat tolerant  of her view  since I thought like that myself before I quit  !

0 Kudos