cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I'm Not A Quitune Teller. I Can't Forsee Your Future.

What I will tell you, is, after being here a long time, I, and others read between the lines of what you write and see the signs. (good and bad)

We'll ask you questions, tell you not to fight

We've seen why people just can't get it right (a thousand times.)

Condensing all, it's willingness and time.

When you give in and smoke it would appear you haven't been listening with your mind's ear.

There's clinging to the lie that smoking still holds something dear, Yet

Our hope and wish is that you learn to live, not be a slave to cigarettes.

If you fail, learn why, then do, don't try.

Tags (1)
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Our society has turned into a "trying is good enough" one.  As my girls were growing up, they got trophies for just showing up - the trophies didn't mean a thing to them because they really didn't anything special to earn them, and they knew it

Just trying doesn't work with quitting smoking (nor in most of life)!

Good point, Dale!

0 Kudos
elvan

It is best to remember that there are no shortcuts, there is no way to make things go faster.  We need to experience those first days to reinforce our quits.  

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Yes Dale, you are so right. 

It is all held by our beliefs, and it is so deep hidden in our brains after many years of smoking, it will take some time for all the "habits" to clean out, and be replaced with healthier ones.

After one year, (and I know you all say it takes 2 sets of seasons, but I somehow thought it would be different for me, because I am special, right? Ha,ha), I can still feel the pull, and I still need to use the tool box to stand tall!

I can't just live like I never smoked, not yet, hopefully in the near future.  It is incredible how often the idea of "wow, one will taste so good right now" is visiting me.  It seems it does even more often than let's say a couple of months ago.

It takes vigilance, an all day/all night activity, but when you've done it for so long, you just have to say: "I know what it takes and I am doing it to preserve my freedom". 

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Truer words never spoken

0 Kudos
Diannnnn

Well said Yo-Dale!

0 Kudos
elvan

JonesCarpeDiem‌  That is the BEST ever

"If you fail, learn why, then do, don't try."