cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Smoking Is A Choice. A Blown Water Heater Isn't.

I walked out of my room yesterday morning to a strange sound. I had not heard it before but I knew what it was before I saw it. The water heater had sprung a leak about 12 inches off the ground and there was water 1/2 deep in the utility room. We had discussed getting a new water heater this week, last week.

p_00012.jpg

We were being URGED WITHOUT OPTION to do so yesterday morning.

I spent half a day taking out the old one and installing the new one in a room slightly larger than myself and the water heater. There are many requirements for earthquake and venting and I was completely whipped by the time it was over.

I could have left the water heater and wall oven on the street for next Tuesdays pickup (my twin brother and I replaced the oven Tuesday.)

Instead we put them in the back of my truck as I figured I could just take them down the hill this morning. That didn't work out. When I called them, they said the next town over...well, since they were already in my truck....

On the way over, I was taking side streets as far as I could. I finally got to the place I had to get on a main thoroughfare and when I turned right, the rope across the back and around the water heater drain valve LET GO and it went into the street and started rolling down the hill taking a hop every time it got to the drain valve.

( yes it was a Hopping Water Heater)

I was backing up and trying to keep it hopping across the intersection so it wasn't in the middle and I could reload it. It stopped about 10 feet from the corner.

There was one car waiting to turn right but there was nothing I could do. I dragged it to the back of my truck and just then a citizen, showed up on my right and asked if he could help. We got it loaded and I retied it and  away I went.

I pulled into the recycling center and parked at the office t ask where to put them, they said I had to use the scale and by this time I got back the line had grown HUGE.

I ended up bringing them home  🙂

Smoking Is A Choice. A Blown Water Heater Isn't

and I would be TOO TIRED TO SMOKE if I were still a smoker.  :-).

Tags (1)
10 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dale-

I can't say this has happened to me but I definitely imagined right where you are at.  Excellent description of the experience. Thanks for entertaining me and tiring me out a little bit as well in the process.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
elvan

Wow, Dale.  I remember our water heater blowing one year on the day after Christmas...you know when you have NO MONEY and your basement is flooding?  It also happens to be my oldest daughter's birthday.  I could seriously SEE that hot water heater bouncing down the street, thank GOD than no one was hurt.  You have to be completely exhausted.  You should have a well deserved Mexican dinner...I am absolutely in awe of this blog!

Ellen

0 Kudos

Too tired to g get it.

0 Kudos
elvan

You poor guy...hope you DO get some rest.  Must admit that you made me laugh out loud.  I once dropped a 12 pack of Coke in our local grocery store parking lot which is on a hill...the cokes were exploding all over the place.  I calmly closed my trunk and drove away.  I could not possibly catch the stupid things.  Your hot water heater reminded me of a much larger 12 pack.

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Wow, wow and wow again Dale,I'm totally exhausted after reading this blog and I am really glad that a good Samaritan stopped to help you reload the water heater. You should be able to get lots of Zzzzzzzzzzzzz's tonight as long as Hoggie let's you sleep. JonesCarpeDiem .

0 Kudos

thanks.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

0 Kudos
Giulia

Oh yeah.  Ohhhhh yeah.  Reminds me of the time..... no - NO time of mine dealing with plumbing issues has EVER been like yours.  Just - wow did you paint a horror picture.

Sleep WELL.  You DESERVE IT!

0 Kudos
Strudel

Oh my gosh! Hope you are sleeping by now! 

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Wow, Dale, what a day! The way you explained it, I could only imagine! Sleep well!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos