cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lisagbsn

Cut down until quit date?

So my quit date if March 25th.  Do you find it easier to start cutting down until that date or just keep smoking what you normally smoke until then? 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great question. I'm sure some members will chime in here as well but I wanted to point you to a similar discussion on the topic.

/blogs/anntann-blog/2016/09/13/is-there-a-method-for-gradual-reduction-till-quit-date 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
lisagbsn

Thank you Mark.  I read over those and found very helpful in answer to my question.  I was using the hours method but found myself clock watching.  It was driving me crazy!

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Everyone is different - for me, cutting down never really worked.  For me, it's an all or nothing thing.  But you do what feels right for you.  Congratulations on making a very wise decision.  Here is a link that might have some things that are useful to you:

Freedom

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I smoked until the day.  I knew I was going to quit.  10 cigs a day was enough for me.  I don't remember cutting back. I just wanted to quit.  Done!

0 Kudos

I didn't cut back. In fact I think I smoked more until the day I quit. I didn't really set a quit date. I had multiple quit attempts. I kept saying "tomorrow I will quit" and tomorrow would come and I would last until lunch time then run out on my lunch break and buy smokes. One day my quit finally stuck. I'm 1.5 years quit. You'll quit when your ready. Hopefully real soon!

0 Kudos
elvan

I didn't cut down on purpose, I got to the point where my breathing was so bad that I could never finish a cigarette and I smoked significantly less than half a pack a day.  My ashtrays were filled with cigarettes I took one or two puffs from.  Allen Carr's book talks about that...when I quit, it was smart turkey, sounds better than cold turkey.  I was really sick so the decision was taken somewhat out of my hands.  I can tell you that I have never regretted quitting...I will always regret starting.

0 Kudos
dwwms

There are so many different ways to quit. Personally, as I approach my quit day (3/22), I haven't necessarily cut back but I have altered my routine. I've started ignoring the first and second craving, mixing it up. I'm thinking that it's a practice exercise for when I give it up totally. In the past I actually quit one time cutting down gradually, though the quit only lasted for 3 months. Perhaps I know better now. The best thing to do is read about it, then choose what will work for you. Just remember, you must be committed to yourself whichever method you choose. Good Luck

0 Kudos
Sootie

I never cut down because, again, it wasn't for me. That doesn't mean it isn't for you. Quitting is a personal journey. The only rule everyone must follow is........once you quit, don't smoke.

Have you done the suggested readings? They are very important. Also----go to why quit.com (if you haven't yet) and read the articles on there. They were a HUGE help to me. 

Some people advocate not "cutting down" but delaying. When you want a cigarette.......just wait a bit. Deny yourself the immediate gratification. Again, that did not work for me. I smoked and I stopped......cold turkey. Again...not for everyone. You do what works for you. But just quit and soon! You'll be so happy you did.

0 Kudos
freeneasy

Cutting down didn't work for me too. When I finally made up my mind, to quit and stay that way that was it. 

0 Kudos