Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Redsoxnut

Brand new

Anyone else JUST quit today?

15 Replies

I believe there are some here who have quit today. And WELCOME to the site! If you're looking for support, you've come to the right place. I quit six years ago and this place was a lifesaver for support. You will probably be getting a lot of responses soon. Let us know how you're doing and glad to meet you!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos
Redsoxnut

Yes , I think it will help. I find the website a little confusing though... wow 6 years is amazing

Redsoxnut

Nic to meet you too. I'm Danielle

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Hi Redsoxnut , welcome to the site I expect they'll be more people along to welcome you and will probably have a few links for you to read ,there's a wealth of information here to strengthen your resolve to quit and remain quit. I believe there's a few folks that are in the early stages of quitting so you sound like you are making it through your Day WON and that's fantastic and you can and will be successful one precious smoke free day at a time. 

Redsoxnut

Thank u so much!!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit and your first day.  Keep reading here on the site - and you might find some other newbies.  You will get plenty of support from EVERYONE on the site, whether just quit, in the process, or many years quit.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go the the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

100 Things to Do Instead of Smoke

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Redsoxnut

Thanku for all the info!! 

0 Kudos
beccalynn35

I didn't quit today, but only a few days into my quit. Im doing pretty good this time around. Hang around here and read and blog until your hears content. It's helped me lots.

I still don't have the site completely learned, but im better at it. You'll learn as you continue to read and write. 

Hope to see you around. 

Redsoxnut

Thanku so much!

0 Kudos