cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Falls Can Be Devastating!

Many people have a friend or relative who has fallen. The person may have slipped while walking or felt dizzy when standing up from a chair and fallen. Maybe you've fallen yourself.

If you or an older person you know has fallen, you're not alone. More than one in three people age 65 years or older falls each year. The risk of falling -- and fall-related problems -- rises with age. But did you know that folks with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease have a higher risk of falls? Each year, more than 1.6 million older U.S. adults go to emergency departments for fall-related injuries. Among older adults, falls are the number one cause of fractures, hospital admissions for trauma, loss of independence, and injury deaths.

Fractures caused by falls can lead to hospital stays and disability. Most often, fall-related fractures are in the person's hip, pelvis, spine, arm, hand, or ankle.

Hip fractures are one of the most serious types of fall injury. They are a leading cause of injury and loss of independence, among older adults. Most healthy, independent older adults who are hospitalized for a broken hip are able to return home or live on their own after treatment and rehabilitation. Most of those who cannot return to independent living after such injuries had physical or mental disabilities before the fracture. Many of them will need long-term care.

Exercise to improve your balance and strengthen your muscles helps to prevent falls. Not wearing bifocal or multifocal glasses when you walk, especially on stairs, will make you less likely to fall. You can also make your home safer by removing loose rugs, adding handrails to stairs and hallways, and making sure you have adequate lighting in dark areas.

Here are some details about what to look for in correcting your stride and improving your balance:

Unusual Step Patterns May Contribute to Falls in COPD Patients 

I tend to think that I'm not old enough to worry about things like that - but I am old enough to prepare my body now so I don't have to worry later!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Tai Chi is another helpful preventative measure you can take to improve balance.  It is a slow, balance intensive flow of positions that is also quite relaxing to practice.

TerrieQuit

I bought a great big gray ball (like they have a physical therapy) originally intended to use for exercise, which didn't work out well, they suggested I sit on it to watch TV and I am wiggly enough just doing that. My neurologist has labeled me a fall risk as I usually fall once a week at least. I am always bruised and don't even remember why most of the time.They are testing for things but can't find anything.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

That must be SO frightening!  Have they suggested you use a walker??  When I fall, it's usually because I am thinking three steps ahead of what I'm doing, so am not concentrating on what I am doing right THEN.  I am trying really hard to break myself of it - but it's how I've been my whole life...always full speed ahead and d$mn the torpedoes!  I sprained my ankle in mid-January and am STILL paying the price - a HUGE price, actually. 

I hope they figure out what is going on.

Nancy

TerrieQuit

A lot of it is about the impulsiveness and like you said full throttle. It's all or nothing, it's always been like this for me. I have toolboxes for this too!  ~Terrie~

YoungAtHeart

TerrieQuit We should both check out mindfulness training........I'm going to go look for info on that right now!  The idea is to live in the moment - gosh - could we REALLY be trained to do that??  I'll let you know!

Nancy, perhaps you can wear a bright red band and whenever you see the band pull yourself back into now with a long deep breath. It's simply a matter of practice, practice, practice and it does make a world of difference!

No Falls Today, Hey Guys?

TerrieQuit

NOPE!

0 Kudos
c2q

Thanks for starting this discussion Thomas. I have nerve damage in my inner ear (since early childhood), as well as damage to my spinal cord (car accident, now made worse by osteoarthritis). For me this means severe hearing loss, neuropathy and chronic pain. It used to also mean frequent falls.

Interestingly enough, studies show that smoking cigarettes can cause balance issues. I certainly didn't do myself any favors all those years I maintained my addiction to nicotine.

At the recommendation of my doctor, these exercises helped me a lot.

Mayo Clinic Exercises to Improve Balance

balance exercises from brain and spine org.