cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Heather1979

Having trouble stopping

I have been smoking. I need support to quite. I have to quite for health reasons. Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I'm glad you are here!  We can help!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the  pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

100 Things to Do Instead of Smoke

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

If you want support, you came to the right place! There will be a lot of people coming along soon to offer you some advice and reading to do.

Welcome to EX! There's a lot of committed quitters here. So what stage are you in right now? Still thinking about quitting? Already quit? Please tell us a little more about your current situation so we can better help you. I know that just thinking about quitting can strike fear into the heart of an addict, which we all are. The fear comes from change, I think. We're kind of hardwired to fear change. I think it's a basic survival instinct for us. But if we can get past that fear and take the first step, there's a new world waiting for us out there. One that is free and filled with peace.

You say you have to quit for health reasons. Then you already have the main reason to quit! Now's the time to make that a reality!!

Hoping to get to know you!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos

Welcome!  Definitely read the Alan Carr book Nancy (Youngatheart) gave you the link to.  It will change your mind set!

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Welcome, please read the links above me and keeping your mind as well as your hands occupied will definitely help plus stay close to this site and read everything you can find about quitting smoking and Remaining Quit because there's a wealth of information to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and start living a life of Freedom! 

0 Kudos
Samsgurl2018

I was quitting for health reasons as well. However, I am starting to see how much of a stupid addiction this is and has been for years. I calculated how many cigarettes I smoked for so many years because I've been smoking since I was 18 and I'm now 46. I could have bought a house for what I spent! Now my medical bills are adding up from seeing my doctor almost every other month for bronchitis and not to mention the prescription's I've had to buy. Today, I found out that I have COPD changes on a chest x-ray and I'll be using an inhaler for a long time. I'm not bad yet but if I keep smoking, I will basically eventually die putting it bluntly. 

Reading stories here from the elders has opened my eyes. My favorite one was from Thomas calling them sickerettes. That's so true. I'm using a coach here and listening to other people here plus reading. I'll tell you one thing my doctor suggested that is a scare tactic for some people. She told me she could take me to the hospital ward where there are lung cancer patients and talk to them. Or look up videos on YouTube that show in depth what happens to you when you smoke. I'm here if you need support and just remember you can do this. Read read and read. Listen and talk to people and best advice I have gotten was to stay close on here. You got this! 

Holly 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Education is the key to a successful quit. Read the suggested material.  Don't take it lightly, it will help you on this journey of freedom.  Be willing to do whatever is necessary not to smoke.  NOPE not one puff ever no matter what is happening in your life will get you there.  Start at the beginning. 

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. 

We will support you. You are on your journey to freedom

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, you have gotten some GREAT advice already, you will find that you will never lack support on this site, it is active and supportive and loving and we all want you to be successful.  Some of us HAD to quit, some quit because they were smart enough to recognize the risks BEFORE they had to.  Quitting smoking is NOT easy, it is hard work but it is one day at a time and when one day is too long, it can be one hour or one minute at a time.  I cannot stress enough that quitting is not an event, it is a journey.  When you sign into the site, on the left hand side of the page at the top there is a link to My Quit Plan.  I followed that, seriously, to the letter and I tracked every cigarette I smoked and every trigger that led me to smoke...I rated them according to how strong they were and then I wrote down possible options for things I could do INSTEAD of smoking.  I was surprised at some of my triggers and once I really paid attention, I realized that smoking did nothing FOR me...it sure did a lot TO me.  Do the reading, set a day, spend as much time as you can on this site.  Read blogs, comment, blog, ask for advice and listen to it if it works for you...understand that we have ALL been where you are, every single one of us had a day ONE and we turned it into a day WON.  You can too and we will help you along the way.

Best,

Ellen

0 Kudos
prjimm01

Become an ex and save your life!  We are all here to help.

0 Kudos