cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

katherineu

56 DAYS SMOKE FREE

So I have made it two months without a cigarette and this past Sunday and today I have had serious urges to smoke.  I don't understand this because I thought I was past that sense or urgency of needing a cigarette.  The nicotine is out of my system, I quit cold turkey so what is this all about?  I have had some stressful situations, depression and anxiety but that is all normal and you know I smoked to smoked, I didn't have any reason I was a dang smoker for 20 plus years.  

I need prayers and help right now, I don't think I will break down and buy a pack of cigarettes, I have no intentions of doing so, I Just need to ride through this day and I can't ignore the weight gain anymore, I am disgusted at myself for packing on at least 10 pounds in two months, its a constant reminder when I'm wearing jeans and shorts that are too tight.  I'm in a cranky mood today as well.

Best of EXThe Ex Café  Sun 02.19.2017@

14 Replies
beccalynn35

So maybe you are triggered by your moods. Being anxious, depressed AND cranky, plus maybe uncomfortable in your tighter clothes. Idk for sure, but all that could be it. 

Have you done something nice for yourself? Maybe go shopping? Even to a thrift store to buy some pants, until you lose that weight. Not that you should be worried about that yet. 

Remember you are in no man's land. I understand that'S a rough time still with craves sneaking up on you. Maybe someone will post the link to that blog.

Best wishes, sending you light and love,

Becky

Mandolinrain

I was a cold turkey quitter as well. I gained weight but it's all off. I just had to make the quit stick no matter what.I am proud of you, this is tuff and 56 days is amazing.  The first three months were the most difficult. I used Vicks Vapor run under my nose and even bought a Vicks inhaler. I don't know why it helped but it instantly took away my craves. 

Im glad your here and I will add you to my prayers tonight. Prayer was also a significant part of y quit. It led me here...to these Exers, who walked this path before me and taught me how to get the freedom I so desired. It's here for you too.

keep reading and blog out your feelings....really will help. We are here for you;) hugs

elvan

You are in No Man's Land, it is perfectly normal to feel the way you are feeling.  I went on a 3 day crying jag at about 63 days, I had no idea why I was crying, guess I NEEDED to, it passed, Dale said it was good for me because I was "watering my cheeks."  I stayed close to the site and I listened to the people who told me that it would pass, it did and I came out on the other side of No Man's Land around 126 days...it wasn't easy but I absolutely felt empowered and I have never regretted quitting, how many people do you know who can say I never regretted smoking?

Hold on, believe in yourself and your strength.

Ellen

susan_m

Hi Katherine!  Congratulations on 56 days!!  You should be very proud of yourself!!  We are glad you're here. 

Try reading this, it may help:

What to Expect in the First 4 Months 

Also, here is a whole series on No Man's Land:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/sarahp/content?query=No+Mans+Land 

Hope they help!

Susan

0 Kudos
Giulia

It's part of the journey.  We forget after a while about those urges and are surprised when they knock us to the ground.  That will continue throughout the journey.  That's just the way it is.  Accept it.  Prepare for it.  

I wish I could find that blog of mine where Mike n alanta and I had a similar incredibly strong craving and we both at that time had over 10 year quits.  If I find it, I'll drop it in here.  In the meantime, here's another that might help:  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2012/05/13/cravings-are-a-part-of-the-rite-of-passage 

Hang in.  That's all that's required for success here.  Just - hang in.  No matter what.  

0 Kudos
elvan

Hope you are doing better.  You need to remember that things were not always rosy and happy when you were smoking.  We all have good days and bad days, when we quit smoking, we blame all of the bad days on the quit.  It's just not accurate, we are being lied to by addiction.  

0 Kudos
diamond01

be careful I made it 57, and broke don't do it be strong now you have 57 and I am at 1 I wish I was you, so keep posting and do not smoke whatever you do PLEASE, Helen,

0 Kudos
c2q

Hi katherineu‌.You're doing great. All that mess in your head is part of the process.

The weight will come off. That can be Step Two. Let Step One be securing your hard-earned quit. Lose the addiction that is killing you first, then lose the weight. 

As your brain and your body get used to the change, your metabolism will even out, and your eating habits will return to normal. You'll know when. Then you can change your focus to losing weight.

For me, it was nearly 200 days quit. The longer you smoke, the more neuroreceptors you have in your brain telling you that you need tobacco. I smoked 36 years. But every body's addiction is unique. Check this out Smokers' Brains Change

0 Kudos

Can you check back in and let us know how you're doing? NML is tough territory but you can do it! Nobody wants to go back to Day One!

0 Kudos