cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Pink Puffers and Blue Bloaters

A "pink puffer" is a person where emphysema is the primary underlying pathology. Emphysema results from destruction of the airways to the terminal bronchiole--which also includes the gradual destruction of the pulmonary capillary bed and thus decreased inability to oxygenate the blood.  So, not only is there less surface area for gas exchange, there is also less vascular bed for gas exchange--but less ventilation-perfusion mismatch than blue bloaters.  The body then has to compensate by hyperventilation (the "puffer" part).  Their arterial blood gases (ABGs) actually are relatively normal because of this compensatory hyperventilation.  Eventually, because of the low cardiac output, people afflicted with this disease develop muscle wasting and weight loss.  They actually have less hypoxemia (compared to blue bloaters) and appear to have a "pink" complexion and hence "pink puffer".  Some of the pink appearance may also be due to the work (use of neck and chest muscles) these folks put into just drawing a breath.

A "blue bloater" is a person where the primary underlying lung pathology is chronic bronchitis. Chronic Bronchitis is caused by excessive mucus production with airway obstruction resulting from hyperplasia of mucus-producing glands, goblet cell metaplasia, and chronic inflammation around bronchi.  Unlike emphysema, the pulmonary capillary bed is undamaged. Instead, the body responds to the increased obstruction by decreasing ventilation and increasing cardiac output. There is a dreadful ventilation to perfusion mismatch leading to hypoxemia and polycythemia.  In addition, they also have increased carbon dioxide retention (hypercapnia).  Because of increasing obstruction, their residual lung volume gradually increases (the "bloating" part).  They are hypoxemic/cyanotic because they actually have worse hypoxemia than pink puffers and this manifests as bluish lips and faces--the "blue" part.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
12 Replies
Mandolinrain

although my Dr. prescribed an inhaler...he said I am not to use it until after my lung tests on Thursday. I should have asked, but forgot. Wy would that be? I am also not allowed caffeine 24 hrs. before. I am supposed to take the prednisone though, which I started this morning. 40mg for three days then 30mg and so as it decreases

Just curious. Thanks

0 Kudos

Mandolinrain

Hi! The reason for withholding the inhaler until after the test is so your Dr gets a better picture of your lung capacity. During the test you may be tested first, given albuterol and then tested again in order to determine what is Asthma and what is COPD. The reason for withholding the caffeine before the test is similar in that caffeine acts like a stimulant and so does albuterol. The prednizone is a steroid and as such a very powerful medicine. It is an anti-inflammatory and that does not effect the test results but it does help you feel better. It is generally tapered because steroids have dramatic side effects and withdrawal symptoms can be rough even when tapered. You may notice jitters, headaches, and a feeling I call "wired and tired." Your Dr. is right on track! Please let us know what the results are from your Tests on Thursday. 

Best Wishes!

Mandolinrain

Thank you for explaining. I am very familiar with the prednisone. I have had to take it for optic neuritis from my MS at times. It does work fast,..i started it this am so hope to feel relief soon.

i truly am grateful for all your knowledge your sharing. My medical background was in surgery and not in this area,  Also I am retired and don't keep up with it as I should , I suppose.

Anyway, I'll let you know how my appt. goes. Thank you again!...I am not nearly as scared as I was with the support I have gotten in here from ppl like yourself who have been through this;) Blessings Thomas!

0 Kudos
elvan

Mandolinrain‌ They had me use a nebulizer halfway through my testing because it was so awful.  It was a much more efficient one than the one I have at home and it did not take long to do the treatment.

Mandolinrain

Ellen, i will surely be glad when his is all over with. I'll be in touch after my appt. on Thursday, xoxo

elvan

I am apparently a pink puffer, seems appropriate.

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Thank-You Thomas3.20.2010 I am not sure which I am. Terrie! I am confused, as per usual!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
constanceclum

Thanks Thomas for the great info. I am also a pink puffer. I use to say I had chronic bronchitis as well but I really don't cough when I'm not smoking.

Connie

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

They tell me I have emphysema and chronic bronchitis, that's why I am confused. Can you be both?

0 Kudos