cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Who is Allen Carr

Allen Carr  (2 September 1934, London – 29 November 2006, Benalmádena, Spain) died a Happy Quitter!

Allen Carr.jpeg

Mr. Carr quit smoking after 30 years as a hundred-a-day chain smoker on July 15, 1983, aged 48. Carr left his job as an accountant in 1983 and set up his first Easyway clinic to advice other Addicts. He wrote ten books which appeared as bestsellers on selected book ranking charts including his first book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

In late July 2006 it was revealed that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer at the age of 71. The following month he revealed that it was terminal and his life expectancy was about nine months. So did Mr. Carr pick up after this diagnosis? After all, what's the point of depriving yourself in your dying Months? 

NO! He died a Happy Quitter! 23 Years after quitting, Allen Carr died of smoking related illness proud of himself and his Quit Journey!

"The surprise, I suggested, is that after years of health warnings people persist in smoking. 'You know what profession comes to my clinics the most? Doctors and nurses.' They and tobacco executives. 'I have had loads of Marlboro men, including two directors. I thought they had come to assassinate me,' he laughed. Carr was against bans and any hint of nanny-statedom: 'Prohibition didn't work. You don't need to ban it if you educate people.' Schools, of course, try the demonization theory and it doesn't work. 'I would explain the trap: the first cigarette tastes so bad no one thinks they will be hooked, but they are.' And cigarettes, he suggested, are worse than heroin because of the numbers killed: 'It is a poison: if you inject nicotine of one cigarette into a vein, it could kill you.'

A crusader to his last breath | UK news | The Guardian 

If you haven't read The Easy Way please read it! The guy understood what scientists are rediscovering with their fMRIs and neuroscience. You have to find a route into your Addicted Mind to find pleasure - as a nonsmoker!

It can be done! We can show you! You can do it!

11 Replies

Great blog Thomas! So glad that book was written.

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Thanks Thomas.     I know many people didn't know who he was.     He did a fantastic job of helping many of us quit....even after his death.

0 Kudos
paulh

Thanks for sharing that story Thomas.

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

I didn't know all that about Mr. Carr. Thanks for sharing it, Thomas!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
elvan

Wow, Thomas, I had no idea.  I remember on previous failed quits that I was asked what I would do if I was diagnosed with lung cancer, I think I said I did not know, I can tell you now, unequivocally that I would NOT smoke.  I am glad that he didn't either.  As a retired nurse who watched the ravages of tobacco on OTHER people, I apparently thought that I was immune. Now, when I look back, I think how crazy that thinking was.  

Thanks for sharing this.

Great book indeed!  I have made so many copies because I keep giving them away when someone mentions they want to quit.

Strudel

Thanks Thomas! Carr had it right - no smoking ever! We are adding to the quality of our days no matter what! 

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

I owe it to him and his book to quit the last link to tobacco; the e-cigarette.  Of course all of you helped too, but I had not even finished his book and stopped using the e-cigarette.  Being the EX I am today I owe it to being here, surrounded by people like you.  Quitting smoking on your own is not an easy task, Allan's book and the knowledge shared by this wonderful group of friends, made it possible for me.

freeneasy

Very interesting and good to know he practiced what he preached.   R.I.P. Mr. Carr