cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pamboyd2u

Goal...STOP SMOKING

I joined Ex in August of 2016.  My start to quit date was September.  As of 2 weeks ago, I had weaned myself down to approximately 3 cigarettes a week.  Big problem..my doctor started me on some medication that made me hallucinate, cry, and become real depressed (not stop smoking medication..so don't the rest of you who are taking medication to stop, get scared).  I became so depressed that I did start smoking again...on a big scale.  Well, I told my doctor I wasn't going to take any more of the medications they prescribed (I wasn't abnormally depressed at all).  In fact, I felt great before I started taking these medications.

Well, to make a long story short,  I am trying to cut down AGAIN.  I WILL NOT GET DISCOURAGED, I am angry, AND I NEED HELP TO QUIT SMOKING AGAIN.  So, here goes!

Tags (1)
12 Replies

Looking forward to your success!! No reason to stop trying now. After all, it's your future we're talking about here. I did  the cutting down thing too, and it taught me a lot. The main thing is that you stay on track. We're all here to help you. Let's go find that freedom!!

freeneasy

Do the reading and study nicotine addiction. Cutting down is an OK strategy but when you down to about 5 a day you should consider stopping completely. A good place to start is by clicking on "My Quit Plan" at the top of this page and read through it.

Question?

What do you think 3 cigarettes a week were doing for you?

It certainly proves you weren't smoking for nicotine.

Don't you see?

Your clinging to smoking in your routine is your own creation.

Let it go.

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

We are here to help! Many folks have found this link very helpful! https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/68188-my-welcome-to-new-members-10-years-of-wisdom-?sr=se...‌ When you need more reading material, let us know and you will receive it! You can do this! EX is great for support and encouragement!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
c2q

Hi pamboyd2u. You've come to the right place. Look at everybody here - we know you can do this. If you can smoke only 3 cigarettes a week, you can smoke only 2. Or 1. Or . . . 0.

It's just a matter now of letting go of that very last bit of dependency.

Pick 3 things to use as a distraction, or try one of these. When you want a cigarette, say "No more."

1. tap your thumb and forefinger together, or press them together and squeeze as hard as you can. 

2. Take a deep breath, hold it, blow out through your mouth. Repeat.

3. chew on the end of a straw.

If you get the chance, let me know how using a distraction works for you. Take care.

chewing on the straw worked for me.

elvan

Oh my, three cigarettes a week is about what I STARTED with when I was in my teens.  If you are down to 3 a week, you really are close to zero.  I would read all of the amazing information on nicotine addiction, figure out WHEN you  smoke those three cigarettes, is it three days in a row?  Is it three in one day and then none for a week?  Figure out what you are doing BEFORE you smoke because that would be a trigger, now write down what you will do INSTEAD of smoking.  Remember that smoking does NOTHING for you but it does a whole lot to you.  Ask yourself before you light up again, what is this cigarette going to change?  What is it going to help me with?  How are things going to get better?  Will it take away my pain, physical or psychological?  Will it make me feel more energetic? Will it take care of my boredom?  Will it make me less angry?  Will it make me less lonely?  You can substitute something for anything you think smoking helps with...notice I said THINK.  Smoking does NOT help, smoking hurts, smoking destroys lives, shortens lives, smoking takes you away from those you love and those who love you.  I sucked on sour candies, I rode a stationary bike (that lifted my spirits more than anything), I came here and I read and I blogged and I saw how other people were succeeding and I wanted to be one of them.

Stay close and welcome to EX.

Ellen

Welcome! Ditto to all of the above!

Here are 14 tips from the CDC for people who want to quit smoking:

• Set a date to quit smoking.
  • Get rid of all cigarettes and ashtrays at home, work, and in your car.
  • Don't let people smoke around you.
  • Review your past attempts to quit. Think about what worked and what didn't.
  • Once you quit, don't smoke -- not even a puff.
  • Get support and encouragement from friends and family.
  • Talk to your doctor about quitting smoking.
  • Consider getting individual or group counseling to help quit smoking.
  • Consider getting counseling by telephone at (800) QUIT-NOW ((800) 784-8669).
  • Try to distract yourself from urges to smoke.
  • Do something to reduce your stress -- try exercise or reading.
  • Plan something enjoyable to do every day.
  • Drink a lot of water and other fluids.
  • Be prepared for difficult situations.

You can do this! Smoking makes depression, stress and anxiety worse - not better! Every one of us were there and now we're here! We can show you how! Keep reading, blogging, and reading some more!

0 Kudos
pamboyd2u

Thank all of you for your advice. And, you are correct if I can smoke 3

cigarettes a week, then I can smoke zero. My doctor giving me all that

unnecessary medication caused me to relapse due to a real depression

brought on by the medicine. Now I am back to square one and am smoking too

much. It doesn't even taste good anymore but for some reason, my stop

smoking goal has diminished. I will read the suggested readings you gave

me, and will once again cut down to 0. I do know that my achieving this

must be something that I want, so I will again set out to be committed to

what I did desperately want. The desperation has waned but my wanting to

achieve quitting smoking is real. So, here I go again.

Thank you all,

Pamela

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Thomas3.20.2010 <

0 Kudos