cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Angie-Lah

Cancer

So the site seems to have changed a lot since I was last here. I can't find any of my old blog posts. I've been quit since July of 2010 and had at least 20 posts but they're all gone now. I came here to give an update on my Dad. He was diagnosed with lung cancer last fall. Things aren't going well.

So it’s been a few months since my last post. I was still holding out hope after my Dad’s latest scans that I would have some kind of good news or at least positive progress to share, and unfortunately, that’s not the case. We’ve watched him go through 6 rounds of chemo, drop weight drastically, lose all of his appetite, all of his hair, and become a shadow of his former self.

The cancer has not only not gone into remission, it has metastasized to his brain. The last scan in December did not show this development so it’s moving more rapidly now. Statistically, the doctor has told him with radiation he has 6 months to a year. Without, from 3-6 months. I can’t even find anything online that offers that much time but I’m hoping we have at least that.

He’s only 66. I’m only 33. He shouldn’t be dying this young and I shouldn’t be losing my father this young.

Please stop smoking. Stop before you do this to yourselves, or to your family members. I can’t describe to you what these months of anticipatory grief, knowing we’re going to lose him soon, has done to my family. My mom is about to be by herself for the first time in her life. I can’t even begin to fathom what life without him is going to be like, but all too soon I’m going to have to experience just that.

I’m going to do what I can to enjoy what time I have left with him.

Please stop smoking.

14 Replies
Mortalzeus

Thank You!  Very powerful! 

0 Kudos

Angie-Lah 

All your old blogs are in that link

Angie-Lah

Thank you, this new site is unfamiliar so it's a little hard to navigate. Glad to know they didn't all disappear.

0 Kudos

I'm so sorry, Angie-Lah‌! This makes me so sad! Thank You for sharing in the hope of inspiring all of us to quit and protect our Quits! 

0 Kudos

I'm sorry you have this bad news. My prayers are with you and your family.

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

So very sorry - I lost my Mother to cancer almost 10 years ago - it is never easy to lose a parent.  My thoughts and prayers on with you.

To find your blogs (or any one's for that matter) - go to your profile and click on "content".  There are different options available to sort depending on what you need.  Everything is still there.

RachelMB

Thank you for sharing your story.  I'm sorry to hear about your father's diagnosis.  Please know I'm thinking of you and sending prayers.

Rachel

susan_m

Very powerful, Angela.  Thank you for sharing this.  Sadly, when I was still a smoker, I would not have listened because my addiction allowed me to lie to myself and believe that it would "never happen to me".  Once we quit and break free from the nicotine fog, we all realize that we were slowly killing ourselves.

My heart breaks for you, your family and your father.  Hugs, love and prayers from Indianapolis, IN.

Susan

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Sending good thoughts and prayers up for you and your family quitting smoking is vital to our health and quality of life, thank you for sharing this post with us. (((((Cyber hug for you))))) Angie-Lah

0 Kudos